Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Stout Tanks and Kettles - $400 14.5 Gal Conical

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #151
brewhokie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Daddy View Post
Yes, drilled the hole myself. I use a starter bit and then a step bit. I go slow (push lightly) and use high speed. If the bit grabs the steel, that is when bad holes are created. .
I thought the general consensus was that when drilling stainless you need to go slow speed with pressure and cutting oil. This is to prevent work hardening the stainless. If this happens, go luck cutting with a step bit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #152
Wicked Daddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Perhaps this is true... I'm not a machinist and maybe I'm doing it wrong. I use high RPMs because a couple times the bit has grabbed the steel and caused a warped hole that I then had to work on to make it straight. At this point I count 7 holes I've successfully drilled and expanded this way with no issues. I do use a little oil on the step bit when drilling.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #153
Wicked Daddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Terry,
The sprayer arm and female compression fitting came from Bargain Fittings.

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=46&product_id=157

I cut 3/4 inch off the short side to gain more clearance. Also, it comes with a male compression fitting but I chose to omit that and go with the female and join the camlock and compression fitting with an NPT threaded nipple. Use an O-ring, outer washer and locking nut with a recess for the O-ring: all sold at Bargain fittings. The white plastic sprayer head is from AHS. It's a wort aerator.

I've not used a butterfly valve (yet). To clean my ball valves, I pump cleaning solution through them and open/close the valve slowly/repeatedly so all internal surfaces are flushed. I've taken apart the ones I suspected would be the most grungy and they were spotless. Still, I'll disassemble them all about twice a year and put them through the dishwasher.

Congrats on the new fermenter. If you've not used a conical, they are awesome! Secondary is just a matter of dumping the trub/yeast. Done!

Old 04-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #154
Wicked Daddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpirius View Post
Think you could throw in a few pics of the racking arm? I'm curious about how exactly that part rotates and seals. I would really appreciate it.
Here you go:

You can see the 2 O-rings. These seal the arm in the TC port. There is also a TC seal and clamp and the ball valve clamps to the arm with a seal and clamp as well. I keep the arm turned to the side and angled down just slightly. This keeps yeast/trub from falling into the racking tube. when it's time to sample or move to kegs; I dump the yeast, loosen the TC just enough to turn the arm and rotate it down, then tighten the clamp. I'll open the valve and let a little flow into a glass to make sure I'm getting clean beer before transferring to the keg.
racking-arm-1.jpg   racking-arm-2.jpg  

Old 04-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #155
AlkiBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Scott,
Thanks again for the info. I will try and duplicate your mods/upgrades after I receive the fermenter next month. I'm really looking forward to using the conical vs plastic buckets. I've ordered from Wayne @ Bargain Fittings several times, good prices & very good customer service. I'll order the SS funnel & wort aerator from AHS.

Quick Reply