New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Stout Tanks and Kettles - $400 14.5 Gal Conical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #101
vballdrummer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

+1 I have the 14.5 Gal and it is nicely constructed -- the larger dump valve will be a plus --- my brown ale trub got a bit stuck

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #102
cbraun77s
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a 20.8 gallons mash, HLT, and boil kettle from here...awesome price, awesome quality!

Old 03-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #103
vballdrummer
Recipes 

UPDATE: I've taken delivery of the 20.8 MT and BK. EVERYTHING was as expected - no disappointed one bit. John was OOS of the HLT, so I'm going to play around w/batch sparging as I rebuild my brewery. Now I need to shorten my table, Doh!

Old 05-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #104
Jazong
Recipes 

Very nice. I would love to see more pics of both kettles. Possible? My biggest concern in dealing with Stout Kettles is the lack of images. I would love to use Stout Tanks and Kettles to build my own version of Kal’s Electric Brewery. I keep waffling between them and Blichmann. How do you feel about the crazy long drain values?

Cheers,

-J

Old 05-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #105
jawsbc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

This is John from Stout Tank and Kettles.

The purpose of the long outlet is to keep the flames away from the valve if your burner is overshooting the kettle. If it is an issue for you, we could shorten it (and have done so for some customers). I think it does not look as nice as a shorter outlet would, but we went for function over form on this.

I would be interested in feedback from other brewers about this. Maybe it is really not necessary.

Also, I'll make it a goal to put more pictures on our gallery on our home page at www.conical-fermenter.com.

Cheers,

John

Old 05-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #106
Jazong
Recipes 

That would be great John. I don't have any doubt about the quality of your product. I have not heard any brewer say they were disappointed with a tank or kettle. Pictures just help me get ideas about what is possible. Pictures of Custom jobs would really help with that.

Cheers,

-J

Old 05-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #107
vballdrummer
Recipes 

@jazong - my only concern was the longer the tube (moment arm) the more torque applied to the weld. When they arrived I (re)assured myself that the weld is solid enough to withstand weight and motion of the valve. I've really not given it another thought since. Obviously I'm electric - so flames are not a concern. The sight tube is solid too. Although it is not graduated, I calibrated & marked the glass with enamel. I also use a zip tie around the tube that I can slide it up-down to mark my volume for a particular recipe.

The brewery has been completed since the above photo was taken with my control box, temp sensors, etc ... located in the following thread

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/new-econtrolbox-based-ohio-eds-239558/

Cheers

Old 05-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #108
cbraun77s
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazong View Post
Very nice. I would love to see more pics of both kettles. Possible? My biggest concern in dealing with Stout Kettles is the lack of images. I would love to use Stout Tanks and Kettles to build my own version of Kal’s Electric Brewery. I keep waffling between them and Blichmann. How do you feel about the crazy long drain values?

Cheers,

-J
I used Stout Tanks to some what replicate Kal's set up. They work great in an electric set up. I did have to turn the heat exchanger in my HLT upside down to allow room for the heating element. But, not that big if a deal.
I went with a More Beer type tiered stand, though. The "tippy" dump makes cleaning 30 pounds of spent grain a lot easier.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #109
Jazong
Recipes 

Tippy dump is an awesome idea. So you bought the HERMS coil and all. I am thinking about seeing if I can get John to make a coil that is as large in diameter as possible (no thermowell) while still being able to a 90deg bend for the tri clover clamps. It wouldn't need to be centered. With the increase in diameter I would most likely be able to install an element below the coil. Even if that doesn't pan out I could always do as you did and install the coil upside down and it would then sit lower in the kettle (relative to a stock coil) because of its larger diameter. What do you think about this idea cbraun77s? What size HLT did you buy? How high in the kettle are the tri clovers for the coil (in gallons if you know)?

Thanks for the info.

-J

Old 05-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #110
Jazong
Recipes 

Quote:
I did have to turn the heat exchanger in my HLT upside down to allow room for the heating element. But, not that big if a deal.
Also, have you noticed any stress on the coil fittings from installing it this way. Do you get any leaking of wort into your HLT caused by the coil being unsupported? In Kal's setup the ends of the coil are at both the top and bottom (as I'm sure you know). This configuration causes less torque on the compression fittings and their connection to the coil.

Thanks again,

-J

Quick Reply