Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Stout Tanks Conical Fermenters: 12.5g vs. 14.5g

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
berrywise
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Maplewood, Minnesota
Posts: 168
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default Stout Tanks Conical Fermenters: 12.5g vs. 14.5g

I'm looking to purchase my first stainless conical fermenter and I have my decision narrowed down to the Stout Tanks conicals. At this point I just need someone to push me in one direction or the other concerning which model to get.

I'm a 10 gallon brewer and am debating the pros and cons of the 12.5 gallon unit compared to the 14.5 gallon. Can anyone comment to the quality of the 1.4 gallon compared to the 12.5? Reading older threads it appears that either would be acceptable for a 10 gallon batch but the 14.5 gallon would probably be more ideal.

The 12.5 is $399 whereas the 14.5 is $529. I'm not as concerned with a thermowell but the 14.5 gallon utilizes one.

So is the extra money for the 14.5 gallon worth it?

__________________
berrywise is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Flourtown, PA
Posts: 1,314
Liked 87 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Default

how much do you collect as a 10 gal brewer? When I do 10 gal batches, I end up collecting 11-11.5 gal. Put that in a 12.5, and that's not alot of headspace. Kinda sucks that the extra 2 gal is another 129 bucks, for what, an extra 3-4" of stainless steel? Good luck!

dfess1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
Sethjj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Default

The 12.5 is basically a taller version of the 7.3 with all the same features, including a cross bar to hold the lid in place. It does add a nice tri-clamp fitting to the lid. The 14.5 has a larger diameter, welded on legs, and a clamped ring around the outside. Personally I use the 12 gal and love it. Disclosure: I work at Stout Tanks.

__________________
Sethjj is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
oakbarn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Argyle, Texas
Posts: 723
Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

I have both the 14.5 and 27 gal conicals. Bigger is better. You can ferment in a half full fermenter but you cannot in one that is too full. I once overfilled my 14.5 one(I think about 12 gallons) and had a very good fermentation that spilled out the airlock and made a great mess. Go bigger. The thermometer is very handy as well. If you want to ferment at 67 for example, you may have to crank your room down to 60 degrees at first and then raise it as the fermentation slows down. Stout Rocks!

__________________
oakbarn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
NBBC13
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
NBBC13's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Concord, MA
Posts: 146
Liked 28 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakbarn View Post
I have both the 14.5 and 27 gal conicals. Bigger is better. You can ferment in a half full fermenter but you cannot in one that is too full. I once overfilled my 14.5 one(I think about 12 gallons) and had a very good fermentation that spilled out the airlock and made a great mess. Go bigger. The thermometer is very handy as well. If you want to ferment at 67 for example, you may have to crank your room down to 60 degrees at first and then raise it as the fermentation slows down. Stout Rocks!
can I ask a follow-up question? if you ferment in a half full fermenter, do you have to fill the headspace with another gas like CO2? or is normal atmosphere OK as long as the fermentation doesn't take too long to get started?
__________________
NBBC13 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 01:46 AM   #6
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
oakbarn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Argyle, Texas
Posts: 723
Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

Yes. Add Oxygen. We use welding Oxygen through an airstone in the Wort for about 30 seconds.

__________________
oakbarn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Flourtown, PA
Posts: 1,314
Liked 87 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakbarn View Post
Yes. Add Oxygen. We use welding Oxygen through an airstone in the Wort for about 30 seconds.
that's not what he's asking. He's asking if you only have your fermenter half full, do you need to put an inert gas as a blanket on top of the wort to prevent oxidation (CO2, argon, etc), since there would be so much head space.
dfess1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
txjoe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 41
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBBC13

can I ask a follow-up question? if you ferment in a half full fermenter, do you have to fill the headspace with another gas like CO2? or is normal atmosphere OK as long as the fermentation doesn't take too long to get started?
No need to put a blanket of CO2 on top. The fermentation process will produce way more than enough CO2 to fill the entire space and it will do so rapidly once the fermentation starts. As a matter of fact if you close off a fermenter entirely, the pressure can get pretty high.
__________________

Bond reflected that good Americans were fine people and that most of them seemed to come from Texas.

-- Ian Fleming, Casino Royale

txjoe is offline
dfess1 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
oakbarn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Argyle, Texas
Posts: 723
Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfess1 View Post
that's not what he's asking. He's asking if you only have your fermenter half full, do you need to put an inert gas as a blanket on top of the wort to prevent oxidation (CO2, argon, etc), since there would be so much head space.
Actually I did answer correctly for what we do. We do add oxygen to oxygenate the Wort and to replace the "air" in the top. I should have also said , you could also do nothing.
__________________
oakbarn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Flourtown, PA
Posts: 1,314
Liked 87 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakbarn View Post
Actually I did answer correctly for what we do. We do add oxygen to oxygenate the Wort and to replace the "air" in the top. I should have also said , you could also do nothing.
So I get oxygenating the wort, but you add O2 to the head space? That seems like you're trying to oxidize the beer, no?
__________________
My Single Tier Brew Sculpture

My Stumps BBQ Clone Build
dfess1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Serving Tanks and Fermenters at a Brewpub NigeltheBold Bottling/Kegging 35 04-09-2013 07:04 PM
Stout Tanks and Kettles - $400 14.5 Gal Conical Ace_Club Equipment/Sanitation 154 04-26-2012 05:59 PM
Stout Tanks and Kettles - Conical Fermenters Rackerman Equipment/Sanitation 15 03-05-2012 01:29 AM
Conical, Blinkman vs. Stout Tanks Salmonhouse Equipment/Sanitation 18 01-18-2012 12:43 PM
For Sale - Fermenters/Bright Tanks bbucc For Sale 14 05-22-2011 10:25 AM