Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Stout Faucet Recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #21
StainlessBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticBear

i wanted stainless primarily because i have over $2k in materials into my kegerator and currently have 6 lines of Perlick 525SS's, with stainless shanks and even stainless collars to go with it...i wanted to keep stainless for uniformity across the board...

pic for reference:

kegerator1 by jmw5107, on Flickr
Beautiful!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #22
archer75
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Found this cheap stout faucet
http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/843180.htm

Old 12-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #23
ArcticBear
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessBrewing View Post
Beautiful!
Thank you.

I contacted taprite and theyve been super informative and helpful, ive just been too busy to respond to them. Im sorry to say i cant say the same about Perlick. I dont like the way theyve handled this situation

Old 12-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #24
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
See my warnings above. Cheap = Krome brand.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/single-tier-3-pump-bcs-462-automated-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hacking-bcs-add-customized-web-pages-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upright-keezer-8-taps-11-kegs-371438/

Old 02-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #25
geepmaley
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 16

The SSB version looks an awful lot like the SF2001A from Taprite per the pics on this post. I just got this from Taprite:

"SF2001A is chrome plated brass, just as SF2001. The "A" version is an alternate product - it's shorter than its counterpart and it's inner workings aren't as easily accessible. My personal preference would be the SF2001; it's a bit more robust and it's one of the most reliable, low maintenance stout faucets available."

So if it is actually a Taprite ( I had asked for brand and model number in the past and got a "dunno" from SSB which was a bit disconcerting), it is NOT stainless. May still be better than another brand, but not because it is stainless.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #26
StainlessBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geepmaley View Post
The SSB version looks an awful lot like the SF2001A from Taprite per the pics on this post. I just got this from Taprite:

"SF2001A is chrome plated brass, just as SF2001. The "A" version is an alternate product - it's shorter than its counterpart and it's inner workings aren't as easily accessible. My personal preference would be the SF2001; it's a bit more robust and it's one of the most reliable, low maintenance stout faucets available."

So if it is actually a Taprite ( I had asked for brand and model number in the past and got a "dunno" from SSB which was a bit disconcerting), it is NOT stainless. May still be better than another brand, but not because it is stainless.
I updated the site with some additional information that "All wetted portions are stainless steel. The top section (cosmetic) is not." Basically the bottom IS STAINLESS and the top portion is not. The top portion never touches the media and is chrome plated to match the bottom portion that is indeed stainless. I made a mistake by not catching this and listing it on the site earlier.

The emails we exchanged stated that I would look into getting a manufacturer and that I can confirm that it is stainless. I could not confirm the manufacturer because they're purchased over seas and that's really none of my business where my vendor get's their product from. A lot of products over seas can be made from the same place but may have a different stamp, label or handle for the distributor. I did not know how else to prove to you that they're stainless other than my word from taking it apart and looking at it. I took some better photos and hope this can clear some things up. You can still see the machine work on the inside of the wetted portion.

dt.jpg
Top section that's abviously not stainless. See small scratches.
dt1.jpg

Old 02-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #27
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 304 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Zach...looks like you already have a piece that can't be sold...given that the SS stout faucet is an item that is sought by homebrewers but no one seems to carry them and even you are having difficulty verifying where your supplier obtained the item I vote for pulling out the old grinder and cut all the pieces in half.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #28
StainlessBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff View Post
Zach...looks like you already have a piece that can't be sold...given that the SS stout faucet is an item that is sought by homebrewers but no one seems to carry them and even you are having difficulty verifying where your supplier obtained the item I vote for pulling out the old grinder and cut all the pieces in half.
This will end up on my kegerator and it's towards the back of the faucet so no big deal. Unfortunately, cutting the faucet in half will not prove anything other than it's still stainless (wetted portion) and in two pieces that will end up in the trash.

Only way to prove something is a certain alloy is with heat numbers and an MTR (Material Test Report) from the material it was made from. It's been tested as 304 and that's all of the information I have. I have tried to scratch a small portion of the bottom portion and no change. I don't know how else to say or prove that it's stainless other than I've been dealing with stainless for almost 10 years and am almost certain it's a stainless alloy. I would be a liar if I said I was 100% certain this is stainless without test reports (still just a piece of paper or another persons word). Hopefully others who have purchased one can chime in with what they think.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #29
geepmaley
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 16

Sorry to be a pain abut this, but you are your suppliers customer. They should be willing (just like you are for your customers) to give you the info you ask for, including brand and model number. How is it none of your business where they get them?

Old 02-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #30
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 304 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessBrewing

This will end up on my kegerator and it's towards the back of the faucet so no big deal. Unfortunately, cutting the faucet in half will not prove anything other than it's still stainless (wetted portion) and in two pieces that will end up in the trash.

Only way to prove something is a certain alloy is with heat numbers and an MTR (Material Test Report) from the material it was made from. It's been tested as 304 and that's all of the information I have. I have tried to scratch a small portion of the bottom portion and no change. I don't know how else to say or prove that it's stainless other than I've been dealing with stainless for almost 10 years and am almost certain it's a stainless alloy. I would be a liar if I said I was 100% certain this is stainless without test reports (still just a piece of paper or another persons word). Hopefully others who have purchased one can chime in with what they think.
While I'm aware that getting an exact metal type would be an expensive testing proposition I suggested that because this type of item tends to be either 304 stainless or plated brass so cutting in would be a solid indication, perhaps not definitive but I would be amazed if you somehow got hold of anything but those two types.

What do I think? I think it is as stated, the wet parts are stainless. I have a few nicks on the shank connection that have no signs of brass showing through nor do the threads which is another place I would expect to see brass in a plated item. Further the machining on the unpolished interior surfaces are extremely crisp which I do not think would be the case if plated, they would look more like the smoothed over machine marks on the threaded rod and knurled nut of the tap handle connection. Further the machined corners on the wet parts are precise, they do not have the rough ridging I normally see on plated stuff which is evident on the dry portions. By look, feel, and close inspection the faucet I bought from you looks well made and accurately listed with your update (don't worry I don't care that you had it listed as all SS when I bought it). As far as performance, IDK as I haven't had the chance to set it up yet, been too busy in the past three months to brew and no money for a beer gas tank.

VOTE, n. The instrument and symbol of a freeman’s power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country.

Quick Reply