Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Stout Faucet Recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 53

JonW, good info thanks. I just got my tap a few days ago, its the SF2001A. Initial inspection is that it is a solid, well made piece. My only concern is the plastic piece that the tap hinges on may wear poorly. I suppose time will tell; but, I figure Taprite knows what they are doing so all should be well. Given the garage is in shambles as I finish my dry walling project I won't get to brew until after Christmas, so it will be a while before I get my first pour off the stout faucet. I too have had a nitro IPA and was rather pleased with it. I will have to spend some time thinking about building an IPA to shine at low CO2 levels though. In the meantime I will probably brew a scottish ale as that style is one of my favorites and one my nemesis when it comes to brewing...I think the stout faucet will give me the edge I have needed to get the style to shine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
ArcticBear
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim_inFLA View Post
Haven't used this, but since you wanted stainless:

http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Stai...cet_p_142.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
I bought two of these from Farmhouse a couple of months ago for my new kegerator build (pics in signature link).

They are a new model by Taprite. The old one isn't discontinued, just adding this one.

I had been using the old model Taprite tap (borrowed from a friend) and needed to get my own since I was going to put two of them on the new build. I had ordered two of the inexpensive Krome version ones (knock off of the Taprite SF2001 model) and I was disgusted at the quality. I promptly sent them back and ordered two of the Taprites from Farmhouse. I knew I was ordering Taprites, but I assumed that what was being shipped was the older style (didn't know a new style existed), so I was surprised when these arrived. I actually sent a pic to Taprite to confirm it was one of theirs and they confirmed it was and sent me back the pic below.

I have been VERY happy with these. The build quality is top notch. They do have a different style valve in them. It is more like a picnic faucet diaphram instead of the old plunger/o-ring setup. It seems to leak/drip after shutoff less than the old ones. Since it's a Taprite, you're also guaranteed that service parts will be easily available.

Attachment 87919
those posts are certainly interesting....

i just ordered this from Perlick:
https://www.perlick.com/store/webcat...ctno=1&grpno=6

and was sent what Big Jim posted in the top post... so... I just paid $40 more for the same thing... not to mention mine has something messed up with it, it appears to be missing an o-ring of some sorts near the nozzle and its not allowing me to use a high pressure with the nitrogen...

the picture that Jon just posted shows what Perlick advertises as theirs and then sent me the model on the left... both of which someone is claiming are Taprite brand...

Old 12-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
ArcticBear
Recipes 

Also the taprite models SF2001 is labeled as Chrome plated on their website... why is it so hard to get clarification on these things... i was spending the extra money through Perlick because i was under the impression i was receiving a perlick stainless steel stout faucet, not a taprite chrome plated...

Old 12-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticBear View Post
Also the taprite models SF2001 is labeled as Chrome plated on their website... why is it so hard to get clarification on these things... i was spending the extra money through Perlick because i was under the impression i was receiving a perlick stainless steel stout faucet, not a taprite chrome plated...
That is why I started this thread, just wasn't good information out there as to what you were getting. Much of what listed as SS on my google search turned out to be mostly chrome with maybe a SS tip or plate in it...not an actuall SS body.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #15
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I just went through this with corny quick disconnects this week also. The vendor shows a picture of the CMB QD's, but ships the cheap chinese crap ones. Tells me ebay doesn't allow them to update their pictures. Yeah, right.

Either these vendors are down right stupid, or they're trying to pull a fast one on people. Either way, the situation is not good.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/

Old 12-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #16
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 126

OMG. Off topic, but.... YOU JUST SOLVED MY MYSTERY! I bought some QD's recently that were drastically crappier than all of the prior ones I have owned. I just looked at my spares on the shelf, the "good ones" are indeed CMB's and the really, REEEEALLY crappy ones have an "S" on them.

They are flimsier, and if you so much as LOOK at them funny, the ring pops off and you lose all of the ball bearings from inside! I lost a pint of beer from connecting one, after the other, after the other to my keg, just trying to get one that would grab on to the post correctly. It was hilarious, and very sad, and hilarious. I had a bunch of towels and wrenches soaked in beer, beer all over the sides of my fridge, and a pile of broken crappy QD parts that later on, I soaked in StarSan and reassembled once clean.

You can also see the spring, through the gap in the plastic, much more obviously than the good CMB ones. It's like they significantly downsized the amount of plastic/shape of the retaining ring on the cheap China ones.

The cheap ones still work, but barely. You have to be so, so very careful when you connect them to the keg. I will probably try to find CMB's from a reputable source and eventually phase out all of my cheapies. They're a beer liability, to be honest.

Back on to topic, I will look closely when I order to be sure that I find a Taprite SF2001A and not a Krome. Thanks for the heads-up, I probably wouldn't have realized the difference until after buying.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 12-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #17
JonW

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
I will look closely when I order to be sure that I find a Taprite SF2001A and not a Krome.
Look no further than the two supporting vendors listed in this thread: Farmhouse Brewing Supply and Stainless Brewing.

More OT: I just sold two kegerators with a bunch of the CMB QD's and used the crappy chinese ones on my new 8 tap build. Wish I had learned how bad they were before getting rid of my old ones.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/
Chriso Likes This 
Old 12-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #18
jdd12364
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I've had brass stout taps for years & never had a problem with any of them . I have had them completly apart for cleaning and never seen any buildup on the insides but to each there own with regards to stainless.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:42 AM   #19
ArcticBear
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdd12364 View Post
I've had brass stout taps for years & never had a problem with any of them . I have had them completly apart for cleaning and never seen any buildup on the insides but to each there own with regards to stainless.
i wanted stainless primarily because i have over $2k in materials into my kegerator and currently have 6 lines of Perlick 525SS's, with stainless shanks and even stainless collars to go with it...i wanted to keep stainless for uniformity across the board...

pic for reference:

kegerator1 by jmw5107, on Flickr
Old 12-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
I just went through this with corny quick disconnects this week also. The vendor shows a picture of the CMB QD's, but ships the cheap chinese crap ones. Tells me ebay doesn't allow them to update their pictures. Yeah, right.

Either these vendors are down right stupid, or they're trying to pull a fast one on people. Either way, the situation is not good.
I don't buy that for a second. I'm an idiot when it comes to posting on ebay and earlier this week I put a phone up for sale...maybe my 5th thing sold in over a decade, and I could figure out pictures just fine, other stuff has been a challenge, the pics though, that is easy.

Quick Reply