Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Stir Plates Rock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

Default Stir Plates Rock

So I bought this stir plate, today is my first time using it.

When I brewed today, I simply ran off some preboil wort 1000ml into the flask and boiled it up on the stove.

Dropped the flask in some cool tap water and brought it down to about 70F quickly

Tossed in some S-04 yeast slurry that I washed yesterday from my OFest

About 5 hours later there is so much yeast in the flask it is unreal! Even with the stirring motion, there is about 3/8" of krausen forming that the stirring action does not knock down.

I cannot wait to see how fast my start is tomorrow when I pitch this!

Got it from Stir Starters: Yeast stir plate for the home brewer, he is a Vendor here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Let me know how that ferments out...I was interested in his stir plates as well. I'm just getting into yeast washing and lagers, and starters are a must apparently. I'd like to hear if you notice any real difference in your beers due to using a large starter.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 09-01-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
The Pol
Recipes 

I used to make simple starters, but the stir plate dramatically increases the cell counts in the same volume of starter... I have pics

Last edited by The Pol; 09-02-2009 at 12:11 AM.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:05 AM   #4
rockytoptim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just bought one as well and made my first starter yesterday. It definitely rocks. Yours looks like mine. Did you get the "stir starter"?

On Tap: Bee Cave Robust Porter
On Tap: Bee Cave OktoberFest
On Tap: Bee Cave Kolsch
Primary: None
Up next: ????

Old 09-02-2009, 01:13 AM   #5
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytoptim View Post
I just bought one as well and made my first starter yesterday. It definitely rocks. Yours looks like mine. Did you get the "stir starter"?
Yes I did, the yeast growth is explosive! The starter keeps getting milkier and milkier... I am going to have one hell of a great start on this beer.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:58 AM   #6
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Yes I did, the yeast growth is explosive! The starter keeps getting milkier and milkier... I am going to have one hell of a great start on this beer.
You would have an even better starter if you filled that flask all the way. I typically fill mine to about an inch above the two liter mark. It usually finishes out in about 24 hours give or take. I then chill it and decant it to another flask reusing the big flask for round two. This two step method typically produces in excess of a cup of slurry, maybe as much as 800 ml within just a couple of days. Lag times are usually very short and I cool the fermenters in a fridge to slow things down. IMO, large starters and cool fermentation temps can really improve your beer.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:03 AM   #7
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
You would have an even better starter if you filled that flask all the way. I typically fill mine to about an inch above the two liter mark. It usually finishes out in about 24 hours give or take. I then chill it and decant it to another flask reusing the big flask for round two. This two step method typically produces in excess of a cup of slurry, maybe as much as 800 ml within just a couple of days. Lag times are usually very short and I cool the fermenters in a fridge to slow things down. IMO, large starters and cool fermentation temps can really improve your beer.
Thanks CAT... I will try that next time, the larger starter. Typically for my ales I only use about 1qt of wort, and no stir plate.

This time I used about a quart, washed yeast slurry, and the plate... I should have much more yeast than I typically do.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:08 AM   #8
Picobrew
Biscuit Enthusiast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just finally finished building a stir plate. I ended up using the circuit from that site, and I used a radio shack project box so mine looks the same. I'm about to start whirling on some washed Wyeast 1007 for an Oktoberfest I'm doing tomorrow. I've never had a problem with shaken starters, but now that I'm washing yeast (first time), it seems like a stir plate was necessary (or at least sort of fun to build).

Old 09-02-2009, 02:11 AM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Not to disagree with you here or anything, because I'm a stirplate owner and advocate their use, but just because I'm a few beers in and I want to stir up the sh*t (like a stirplate stirring sh*t...call me a sh*t-stirplate! ): judging your cell count by how "milky" it looks is no good! It looks milky because the stirbar does not allow anything to settle. Now, of course, your cell count IS higher, because of the constant stirring and the increased oxygen absorption, but the milkiness of the liquid is no measure of anything, especially when it's on a stirplate.

Anyway, glad you finally got one for yourself...they rock. I suggest getting a bigger flask (mine is 5L) so you can make big honkin' 4L starters for lagers and 10g batches...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-02-2009, 02:19 AM   #10
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Not to disagree with you here or anything, because I'm a stirplate owner and advocate their use, but just because I'm a few beers in and I want to stir up the sh*t (like a stirplate stirring sh*t...call me a sh*t-stirplate! ): judging your cell count by how "milky" it looks is no good! It looks milky because the stirbar does not allow anything to settle. Now, of course, your cell count IS higher, because of the constant stirring and the increased oxygen absorption, but the milkiness of the liquid is no measure of anything, especially when it's on a stirplate.

Anyway, glad you finally got one for yourself...they rock. I suggest getting a bigger flask (mine is 5L) so you can make big honkin' 4L starters for lagers and 10g batches...

I am not basing my cell count on how milky it is... rather comparing the amount of yeast in suspension now, to 12 hours ago. Cmon EVAN, you know I am more scientific than that!

I may get a larger flask... may.

Quick Reply