The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Steps to make DIY wort chiller food safe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
jbb3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Steps to make DIY wort chiller food safe

Just finished making a wort chiller with 50' of 3/8" copper refrigeration tubing. I plan to get a bucket of soapy water and a brush to clean it up. Then will boil some water and leave it in for a while. Anything else I need to do to make it food safe before using it to cool a batch of wort?

Also, I used some 14ga THHN solid wire to tie a few of the coils together to help it keep it's shape. Any problem with this copper wire in the work??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 01:38 AM   #2
FuriousE
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I haven't had a problem with the copper wire I used in mine. I think your cleaning steps are fine. Just make sure to boil it in the wort for the last 15 of each brew and you are good! I actually collect some of the hot water from the chiller to use to clean it when I'm done, as well.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
jbb3
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousE View Post
I haven't had a problem with the copper wire I used in mine. I think your cleaning steps are fine. Just make sure to boil it in the wort for the last 15 of each brew and you are good! I actually collect some of the hot water from the chiller to use to clean it when I'm done, as well.
Thanks for the reply. And the tip on boiling the chiller in the wort since I was also wondered about sanitizing the chiller prior to end of boil. And wondered about the effects of Star San on the chiller given it is acidic. So you addressed both the other questions I hadn't even asked yet!

Quick Reply