New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Steam for Sanitizing/Cleaning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #21
mpcluever
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 46

The more I think about this, the more it doesn't sound feasible at all. Sure you can generate steam and send it up a tree system. However, that steam will have cooled SIGNIFICANTLY going up the tree and out into the bottles. All you'll be sending into the bottles is distilled water. I don't see a significant difference between a tree or any other type of manifold. Same problem. The steam will have cooled before it hits the bottles.

Even with my handheld steam cleaner, you can hold your hand 6" from the spout with it blasting out. The steam has cooled by that point already to worthless temps.

If anyone has tried this, I'd be curious what temp the steam is coming out the ports into the bottles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 02:55 AM   #22
robinmo
Recipes 

I actually ordered some silicone tubing off ebay and hooked it up to my steam wand. The steam made it all the way through and was still pretty hot. I thought about building a tree but ended up just using the hose to try to sanitize the bottles individually. I think it worked i know that boiling water kills most bacteria so i'm hoping this works.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:23 AM   #23
pdxal
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 98

As mentioned before, a dishwasher does the same thing. Hot rinse and hot dry cycle generates steam sufficient to sanitize bottles upside down in the dish racks. Simple and effective with no need to buy or build new equipment.
Also, zombie thread.

Quick Reply