Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Steam Kettle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
Commondiablo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Steam Kettle

So...... I got my hands on a Groen PT-60 Steam Kettle. Groen PT series kettles are stationary, direct steam kettles. Groen PT series kettles require an outside steam source such as a boiler or steam generator. The steam enters the jacket through an inlet. The product in the kettle body absorbs the heat from the steam and returns the steam to the bottom of the kettle in the form of condensate. The condensate is the emptied into a drain or returned back to the boiler or steam generator. The temperature on the direct steam kettles is controlled by regulating the PSI of the steam coming into the jacket.

http://www.culinarydepotinc.com/p-62...39_a_7cPT_d_60

I plan on brewing 15 gallons at a time. I can push water through to help control temp during the process after cooking. The one problem is this, I need a way to generate steam to cook. I do not want to spend a too much money on a Boiler or a steam generator. Any ideas?

CJ

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 01:48 AM   #2
Gartywood
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Good luck

Old 01-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Commondiablo
Recipes 

I was hoping to go on a little more than luck.....

Old 01-04-2013, 02:33 AM   #4
RTL
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't mean to be a dick or anything; but you're looking at an $8,000+ dollar steam kettle and your worried about boiler costs?! I know steam is supposed to be awesome but you could build a serious system for that much dough.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:51 AM   #5
Commondiablo
Recipes 

LOL.... No worries. I got the kettle for $50 in perfect condition from a friend clearing out a warehouse that foreclosed. I don't want to drop a grand on a boiler or a steam generator. Perhaps I may have no other choice if I want this to work. I was hoping for some cheaper alternatives or a work around.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #6
bbrim
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Maybe you should see if you can get enough cash out of that kettle to build an all electric RIMS system or something of that nature!

Old 01-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #7
WPStrassburg
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Not sure of the actual connection points on the kettle, but you could pump a heat transfer fluid through the jacket which is heated electrically. Oils or glycol could be used to circulate through the jacket and heat. Dowfrost is good to 250* and the HD is good to 325* so boiling with those is a possibility.

Looking at the cut sheet the relief valve could be removed and a tee added to allow the relief to remain just in case and an outlet point for the fluid at the top of the jacket. and the "condensate out" port used to pump into the jacket.
Starting 18 gallons strike water at 50* with 2 5500W heaters you could get to 170* in 30 minutes and 140* to a boil in 18 minutes IF you have no heat losses, so it seems reasonable.

You could deep fry the wings in the oil and make beer at the same time!!!

Electric Hot Oil Tank - eHOT

http://www.unifiedbrands.net/assets/...8D_0710_PT.pdf
http://www.unifiedbrands.net/assets/...OperatorFT.pdf

Old 02-19-2013, 12:32 AM   #8
JUST_BREW_IT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I just recently came across a Groen DLT-60 that I picked up at a very affordable price.

I'm struggling with the same issue as you. Have you came to any conclusions? I am considering cutting off the jacket in order to use a burner

I was actually given the suggestion of rigging up a hot water heater and circulate anti-freeze to cook. seems like a little more than I'm wanting to get into though

Old 02-19-2013, 01:23 AM   #9
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Why would you cut up a ~$8000 steam kettle - sell it and use the money to build what you want!
I don't understand how a steam system on a homebrew scale would be more efficient or easier/cheaper. I know I have seen Yuri's work but if it is electric you are still limited to what your element can deliver long term, great for short term variations though.
Really all I am saying is you will spend a lot more money to builded and perfect a steam system than the use you will get out of it at a homebrew level.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
JUST_BREW_IT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
Why would you cut up a ~$8000 steam kettle - sell it and use the money to build what you want!
I don't understand how a steam system on a homebrew scale would be more efficient or easier/cheaper. I know I have seen Yuri's work but if it is electric you are still limited to what your element can deliver long term, great for short term variations though.
Really all I am saying is you will spend a lot more money to builded and perfect a steam system than the use you will get out of it at a homebrew level.
these aren't $8000 steam kettles. mine is over 20 years old and would require a steam generator. not very attractive to the average person. at this point I can probably either modify it to work for my needs our scrap it for the going rate of stainless

Quick Reply