Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Steam Injected Mash System

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #91
JimiSlew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hey,
Long time lurker first time contributor. Any new news on steam? I'm interested.
Thanks,

Jim

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #92
cmj141
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewsBrews View Post
Stirring the mash should alleviate any issues of directing hi temp steam into the mash. A motor operated stirring machine would be best (for consistent churn) but stirring by hand while introducing the steam works too. I've communicated with a handful of people that say the steam has no notable effect on their mash efficiency.

HERMS systems put the runnings through quite a bit of temperature differential as it passes through the tubing and heat exchanger and back into the mash. It seems that gently introducing steam would be less detrimental. Of course, I'm relying on others' experience until I get my system built...
so how long would one stir the mash for? i read stirring is only good to do as u pour your grains in. So what do u do when youre ready to drain in the bk? wouldnt u want the grain to settle? or will there be a better false bottom than the ones widely used but still getting grain clogs? j/w b?c ive been trying to figure out a steam system but seems more difficult to brew with. i wanted to do stram b/c alot of big breweries use stram so it has to be the way to go.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply