Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Starsan and a Spray Bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
jcarson83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Default Starsan and a Spray Bottle

Well I just brewed my first batch with the Starsan and a spray bottle technique. Usually I mix a 5 gallon bucket and soak everything that comes in contact post boil. That seems a little anal though so I decided to try a little more economical approach. I cleaned everything really well with oxyclean and rinsed then just spray with starsan. I'm a little nervous but hopefully the yeast will take off take care of anything left over. If it works I'll have a new keg full of Yoopers Dogfish Head 60 min clone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use this method all the time. I did recently have an infection, but it was more because of the yeast not getting started than my sanitation.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 08-25-2009, 01:51 AM   #3
doggage
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Me too. No problems. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:36 AM   #4
aeonderdonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

it's about time for me to get a bottle, so far just soaking

Empty
Bottled
EdWort's Apfelwein
Kegged
Pale Onderale
RyePA

Old 08-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Spray bottle of Starsan works for me too. My practice is to thoroughly clean the items that touch the wort post boil. If you do a good job and remove all the dirt you can see, the StarSan spray will kill 99% of the stuff you can't see. I rarely mix up more than a gal of Starsan at any one time.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I usually keep 2 gallons of starsan mixed up plus a spray bottle ready for brew days. I'll dump almost a gallon into the fermentors to soak before I use them, and I'll also have at least one other medium sized plastic container that I soak hoses and other small items in. Other than that I'm spraying away with the spray bottle, usually over my soaking container to recover as much of it as possible. So far, so good.

Congrats on the Dogfish Head 60 mnute brew. That is a fine recipe and I think you're gonna like the results!

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 08-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
johnnyc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Has anyone else noticed that Starsan seems to screw up a spray bottle after a while? I know w/ Windex or other cleaners it seems to be ready to spray immediately but the Starsan I have to squeeze for a while to get it to start spraying and even then the spray isn't as fine and even. I've already switched sprayer once and this one deteriorated just like the first one.

Kegged: Hoppy Amber, ESB, Weizenbock, Breakfast Stout, IPA

Fermenting: Yooper's Oktoberfest

Old 08-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
Has anyone else noticed that Starsan seems to screw up a spray bottle after a while? I know w/ Windex or other cleaners it seems to be ready to spray immediately but the Starsan I have to squeeze for a while to get it to start spraying and even then the spray isn't as fine and even. I've already switched sprayer once and this one deteriorated just like the first one.
Some sprayers hold up to Star San and other chemicals without problems and others do not. I was given a whole case of spray bottles and they seem to be of a higher quality as I've been using the same one with Star San for a very long time.

IMO, many of us are using way more Star San than is necessary. You only need to wet a surface with Star San. I put only about a pint or even less in the plastic fermenters. I put the lid on and slosh/shake it up to cover all interior surfaces. I remove the lid and spray it on both sides with sanitizer and either dump the Star San into another bucket for reuse on the next fermenter, keg or whatever. I only mix up one gallon at a time and that's typically more than enough for a brewing session. When sanitizing kegs, I dump it from one to the next and supplement with the spray bottle. A little Star San goes a long ways. Using more sanitizer does not equate to better sanitizing. Used properly, Star San is very economical.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:01 PM   #9
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Cleaning is 90% of sanitation. If the surface is clean, a quick spray with Star san will do the job. If it is not clean, a soak still won't get it sanitized.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I mix one gallon at a time. I qt goes into a trigger sprayer the rest goes into a small Garden sprayer. Garden sprayer is for larger items like carboys the trigger sprayer for little jobs .

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply