Starsan Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clt2DC

Reaction score
I brewed last Sunday and in doing so a mixed up a 5 gal batch of sanitizer. It has been sitting in a Rubbermaid container with the lid on since.

Question, is it still good? I need to transfer and dry hop and would prefer not to make another batch.

Thanks

The general rule is if it's clear it's good. Don't worry. Mixed with distilled water and being careful not to dirty it up, and it's good practically forever. I go through many brew sessions and only replace it when I start to loose volume through careless spillage.

I mix up my SS with RO water, and keep whatever is left after my Spring brewing over to Fall, and from the end of that schedule to Spring. So some sits for months, and is just fine when I use it again. If it's clear and the pH is ≤3, you're good to go.

For those who keep it for extended periods of time for reuse, what kind of container do you store it in? Does it need to be air tight?

For those who keep it for extended periods of time for reuse, what kind of container do you store it in? Does it need to be air tight?

My current batch was "brewed" in October, freshened in January and again in April with a gallon of mix each time. I keep it in a 5 gallon glass carboy with a solid bung. I don't know that it benefits from being sealed up per se, but the bung keeps dust 'n' crap from getting in, and keeps the mix from sloshing out when I lug the carboy upstairs on brew days.

Tested with a Hanna 98128 whenever I use it, it remains below pH 3.

Cheers!

I just keep it in a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a lid. Doesn't require an airtight container, as far as I know.

Back