Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Is StarSan foam in carboy bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
Hypnolobster
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

1.5 cups of diluted star san is absolutely not a problem in several gallons of liquid. Don't worry about it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
SiriusStarr

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinD View Post
As a follow-on question about StarSan, how bad is it if 1.5 cups of diluted StarSan made it into my 6 gallon primary? Is this a dump and re-start or???

My first batch of homebrew ever, long story about how this happened, but appreciate any advice.
Three batches ago I accidentally siphoned at least a pint or two of diluted StarSan into my primary. Best pale ale I've made. It won't be a problem.
Bottled: Nothing! D:
Planned: Pliny clone. Brett cider. More 7 Stairs Pale Ale.
Gunpowder Likes This 
Old 01-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
Gunpowder
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusStarr View Post
Three batches ago I accidentally siphoned at least a pint or two of diluted StarSan into my primary. Best pale ale I've made. It won't be a problem.
Bet that gave you angina for a few days before you got to try it ;-)

Old 01-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #14
SiriusStarr

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpowder View Post
Bet that gave you angina for a few days before you got to try it ;-)
Thank god I'm on beta blockers... (not really)

Nah, in seriousness, I was so pissed off by everything that had gone wrong with the brew already I had given up on the batch and was beyond caring. The full description of that day can be found here, for your entertainment.
Bottled: Nothing! D:
Planned: Pliny clone. Brett cider. More 7 Stairs Pale Ale.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
Gunpowder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusStarr View Post
Thank god I'm on beta blockers... (not really)

Nah, in seriousness, I was so pissed off by everything that had gone wrong with the brew already I had given up on the batch and was beyond caring. The full description of that day can be found here, for your entertainment.
hhahaha... WOW!!! You poor guy!! Glad that beer turned out OK. I had a similar situation when I first started brewing.

My wife and I were at a cranberry festival, and we saw a 1 gallon Cranberry Cream Ale kit. I don't even like cream ale. My wife got it for me, deciding that I needed a hobby that didn't involve power tools or computers (HA! I use them both in brewing!)

Anyway, I screwed this batch up EVERY way you can think of. I used tap water. I didn't boil it long enough. I didn't start the yeast. I left the one gallon container uncovered for a week, exposed to open air. That container, by the way, I washed with dishsoap prior to using. I poured it into a juice jug, then into a measuring cup (neither sanitized) for bottling. Then I realized I forgot the corn sugar, uncapped the bottles, poured it all back into the juice jug, added the corn sugar directly (no boiled water), and back into the measuring cup, back into the bottles.

By the time it was ready to try, I was bolting myself up, mentally preparing myself to drink enough of this sewage so as to not hurt my wife's feelings.

Honestly, it was one of the best damn beers I've ever had. And I don't exactly like cranberries OR cream ales. My friends want me to make it again next year. I'm wondering if I should screw everything up again, just to make a perfect beer.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #16
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Not a problem at all! I rack ontp starsan foam in both my fermenter and my bottles (when I actually bottle these days anyway). I heard somewhere that Yeast actually like starsan.

ManasquanRiverBrewingllc@outlook.com

"Maker of the Original "Manasquan River Paddle", an all hand made, hand shaped & contoured, mash paddle. Designed for home brewers by a brewer"

Available thru the Fine Folks at MoreBeer! Inc., and Love2Brew.com.

Also available thru select Local Home Brew Stores
World Wide.

Wholesale inquiries welcome.

Like us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ManasquanRiverBrewingLLC?ref=hl

Old 01-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #17
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I still don't get why folks freak out about the foam, and starsan in general. Starsan breaks down into phosphoric acid, which the yeast love. In fact it is good food for septic fields. It breaks down into stuff that you and I consume every day....if you drink colas, or other soft drinks, you're drinking what starsan breaks down to....

The foam is an important part of the sanitization process, 1) because it can reach into any nook and cranny (like in a kegging system) and 2) because it tends to cling surfaces, so that the sanitizer forms a barrier and anything the comes into contact with it is killed.

I put a lot of good info and tips of effectively using sanitizers in here. Including a podcast by the creator of starsan, and one by a rep from iodophor talking about that and more-http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Gunpowder Likes This 
Old 01-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #18
Ricochetbrew
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpcluever

"swinging" and "carboy" just doesn't sound good in the same sentence. Sounds like flying glass shards to me.
I agree. However it sounds like you tube gold! Hope he records it!

Old 01-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #19
Gunpowder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpcluever View Post
"swinging" and "carboy" just doesn't sound good in the same sentence. Sounds like flying glass shards to me.
The words "Glass Grenade" come to mind.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:28 AM   #20
sgraham602

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

it is important to rack your beer onto the foam quickly. exposed foam will attract goblins.

Quick Reply