Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > StarSan Bubbles In My Carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
hokenfloken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default StarSan Bubbles In My Carboy

Greetings fellow homebrewers!

I brewed a batch of ESB last week and used my new carboy for the very first time. I used StarSan to clean the carboy. I shook the solution all around in the carboy then poured it all out. There were tons of large bubbles in the carboy. I tried to shake the bubbles out, turn it upside, all kinds of stuff but I couldn't get the bubbles out. Not knowing what to do, I rinsed it out with just a tiny bit of water. I know, I know, I shouldn't have but....

Anyways, is it okay to put the wort in there with the StarSan bubbles or should I let it air dry completely to try to get the bubbles to go away?

Thanks everybody!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
opengun
Recipes 

Don't fear the foam.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
ecancel
Recipes 

the bubble are fine

Old 06-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
chumprock
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Foam is your friend.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I tinhk my fellow compatriates are so tired of re-answering this question, that they are only giving you a piece of the answer.

First off, no rinse, wet contact sanitizers like starsan and iodophor, are just that no rinse, wet contact santizers.

Meaning you do not rinse them and you rack you beer right on top of the foam or remnants of the sanitizer....if you rinse the stuff off, first you run the risk of contaminating what you just sanitized with the water....and if you drain or let the sanitizer dry you also reduce it's efficacy greatly..because although the next micro organism that comes in contact with the sanitized object MAY be killed, the object may more than likely now be vunerable to the next organism...or may no longer be sanitized at all.

Next in the case of the starsan foam, it actually is neutralized by the beer and becomes food for the yeasties. it actually helps in fermentation (an is even good for the bugs in septic fields)

You will find more info and links to the podcast from charles talley the inventor of starsan here...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sani...tizer+question

Also, as you can see, when you rack ONTO the foam, most of it is lifted out of the carboy or the bottle that had it in the bottom.

And it looks pretty cool.

If it's not too late, I would go back and resanitize wit the starsan and rack on top of it...but if not, DO that next time...what's the point of spending money and time on the sanitizer, if you do not use it properly to begin with.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 06-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
hokenfloken
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Thanks a lot Revvy. That's all I wanted to know. Next time I'll do it right. I have been keeping an eye on the carboy for the past week and everything looks fine. Nothing weird floating on top of the beer...just yeast. It smells fine too. I was just curious. Thanks a lot.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:15 AM   #7
Falcor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
if you drain or let the sanitizer dry you also reduce it's efficacy greatly
i'm not saying that i don't believe you, but the bottle does say to let it air dry.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I figured out how to get the foam out. Use your thief to capture some star san. Press the nozzle against the neck like normal and deposit the star san into the carboy. Since it's not splashing it won't bubble up, but you will notice that it rinses away the foam in the bottom so it can be poured out. Repeat until no foam remains.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
Phyrst
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I don't fear the foam, but I don't like a lot of it because of the mess you see in Revvy's picture above. I keep my starsan in a bucket and siphon a gallon into my carboy when I want to sanitize it. Then I put a plug on the carboy and gently roll it around to get all the surfaces wet without making a lot of foam. Then I carefully pour it back into the bucket not letting it just glug out of the carboy. I usually get very few bubbles if I'm careful.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
cpatel479
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Starsan bubble bath!

Quick Reply