Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Star Sans Dishwasher

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #21
otownpyle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbie View Post
I always put a small amount of star san in my dishwasher when I sanitize bottles because it makes me feel better, and have never had any problems with foaming. I have been doing it this way for three batches now and have not yet had an infected bottle.
what do you consider a small amount?

Follow Me on Twitter Here

Read My Blog Here
www.otownpyle.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #22
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

1/4 to 1/2 oz.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #23
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

For the record, and safety's sake, 160 degrees is NOT hot enough to kill everything. It is under the temperature to kill salmonella and the bare minimum to kill EColi. 180 is the temperature required by the health department for mechanical dishwashing without the use of a chemical sanitizer. 140 is the federal minimum for hot holding food and merely creates an environment that is not conducive to bacterial growth. Pastuerization is not sanitation.
Hot water is also does not clean without a detergent and over time, without a good handwashing will develop a buildup.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #24
otownpyle
Recipes 

Huh ok. Yeah I'm pretty diligent about washing out after I drink out of the bottle & I soak them usually the night before too... I'm not going to be sticking the bottles in poo or raw chicken so I'm good there. I think the Vinator is the best route but I do like at minimum the wash in the dish washer b4 sanitizing...

Follow Me on Twitter Here

Read My Blog Here
www.otownpyle.com

Old 04-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #25
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
For the record, and safety's sake, 160 degrees is NOT hot enough to kill everything. It is under the temperature to kill salmonella and the bare minimum to kill EColi. 180 is the temperature required by the health department for mechanical dishwashing without the use of a chemical sanitizer. 140 is the federal minimum for hot holding food and merely creates an environment that is not conducive to bacterial growth. Pastuerization is not sanitation.
Hot water is also does not clean without a detergent and over time, without a good handwashing will develop a buildup.
IIRC, Salmonella and E. Coli can't live in beer.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #26
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezman1 View Post
Here is what I do:

Remove any rinse aid like jet-dry from your machine.

I run the bottles in the dishwasher with PBW on the pots/pans setting and heat turned on.

Once the bottles have cooled, I remove them to the counter and spray the dishwasher tines with star san. I then use the vinator with starsan and quicky give the bottles one or two squirts, then set them back into the washer neck-down to drain while I transfer my beer to the bottling bucket.

This process is extemely quick, easy, uses a minimum of cleaner, and I've never had any issues with it.

the Starsan/vinator may actually be overkill, but it takes less than 10 minutes to do with 22 0z. bottles, and uses less than a quart of star-san. Cheap insurance ...

Pez.
Not trying to split hairs, but do you cover them or turn them upside down when you sit them on the counter? Just wondering about any wild yeast or bacteria falling into them.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:50 PM   #27
Pezman1
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
Not trying to split hairs, but do you cover them or turn them upside down when you sit them on the counter? Just wondering about any wild yeast or bacteria falling into them.
Sorry if I was unclear. I pull the bottles out of the dishwasher and set them neck up on the counter . I then IMMEDIATELY use the vinator/starsan on them and return them to the dishwasher neck down after spraying the tines with star-san. Anything bad that happens to fall into the bottles during this time would be killed by the star-san.
I set the filled vinator in the sink first , so everything is in reach, ready, and done in 10 minutes or less. Pez.

Tags
bottles, sanitation

Quick Reply