Star San spill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Reaction score
Hi there,

My husband and I are brand-new to home brewing. Unfortunately, on a recent long-distance move, 3/4 of our Star San bottle spilled into our brewing buckets, soaking the bottom of the top bucket (they were stacked) and getting some on the equipment that was in there - bottle capper, hoses, etc. After rinsing, that top bucket has a funky yellow stain in it that we're assuming is telling us it's shot. But what about the rest of the equipment? Do we need to replace it all? Please say it isn't so...

Thanks,
Heather

Starsan will discolor various surfaces. There's some horror stories about people leaving it on their countertops and finding them stained. I don't think that it's damaged any of your equipment. I think that even the bucket is fine to use. It's just discolored.

Yeah...just wash it up real well and give it a good inspection. Discoloration is no big deal. Make sure the bucket is still physically sound, and the surface hasn't been compromised in any way that could harbor bacteria.

Yup, figured that out pretty quickly. Guess I know what I'm doing as my next reno project.

Not so bad, though. The wife didn't like our countertops anyways. Phew!

You're lucky, I found this out AFTER replacing our countertops. 2 weeks after replacing them that is. SWMBO was not the biggest fan of new found hobby to say the least.:eek:

Latest posts

Back