Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Star San Solution life

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008, 01:51 AM   #11
Kevin Dean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That's my unofficial guage. The official is pH, which is always in check.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2008, 03:51 AM   #12
BrooZer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Karr
I've got a batch of SS in my spray bottle that I've used for months. When I shake it, and it still gets foamy, I think it's still OK. It still has that "smell" when I spray it on a surface.
Is that smell sort of like pee. That is what it smells like to me.. Maybe im weird.

Life, Liberty, And The Pursuit of Hoppyness

Old 01-11-2008, 04:57 AM   #13
Jekster
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was wondering this questions. I kegged a batch of beer tonight and had some extra star san sitting around. I thought I would put it to use so I cleaned up to used kegs and tossed in some star san. Capped with the lids and figured next time I keg I could just give the old keg a swirl, dump and it would be ready to go. Think this would work out as long as it was done within a month or so?

In the Works:

Old 01-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #14
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dean
That line from Charley about SS turning cloudy making it useless... If this is true, we don't need to sanitize, since almost every BIT of Star San I've ever used has been cloudy. It turns cloudy for me after about 5 hours and if that statement is as true as he says (being useless) then I need to investigate other sanitizer options (or start a "sanitization is pointless" trend.).
I don't know why you sound so bitter about it... If your starsan is going cloudy immediately, it sounds like you probably have a lot of minerals/etc in your water - which is not the fault of the sanitizer, it's just apparently sensitive to such things - and many of us have no problem with using our tap water (I mix starsan with tap water and it stays crystal clear for weeks or months). Talley recommends mixing up starsan with D.I. water as a method for prolonging its longevity (especially if you've got hard tap water) - though distilled water is probably more realistic for most people. But, that bumps up the per-gallon cost of sanitizer tremendously. If your water is too hard to make effective starsan solution, then I think looking for a different sanitizer is a good idea.

I've just been going off the things he said in that thread I linked. If I were you, I'd email Charlie Talley and ask his opinion on the matter, I've heard he's good about responding to questions, and I know he's very knowledgeable.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #15
BrooZer
Recipes 

Ok, Ive had some star san in a spray bottle for a few days now. When i shake it it still bubbles like crazy and smells like that sulfur smell.

The water is the slightest bit cloudy though. Since it bubbles and smells is it still good??

Old 01-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #16
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 270 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have a 5 gallon water bottle that I fill up with RO water at my local grocery store and then add 1 ounce of starsan. It is several months old and still the PH is good to go and it is still clear. I use this for filling my spray bottle, sanitizing beer bottles, and other quick items. I mix a fresh batch with tap water for sanitizing carboys, buckets, hoses, etc.

Good stuff and goes cloudy the same day. It still is good when cloudy.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 01-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #17
BrooZer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
I have a 5 gallon water bottle that I fill up with RO water at my local grocery store and then add 1 ounce of starsan. It is several months old and still the PH is good to go and it is still clear. I use this for filling my spray bottle, sanitizing beer bottles, and other quick items. I mix a fresh batch with tap water for sanitizing carboys, buckets, hoses, etc.

Good stuff and goes cloudy the same day. It still is good when cloudy.
so i shouldnt worry then..

Old 01-14-2008, 03:59 PM   #18
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

My star-san is cloudy but the pH is still below 3. I've been using it for 3 months with absolutely no problems.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #19
jdoiv

Recipes 

I mix up a 2.5 gallon batch and keep it in a corny keg. I'll use a picnic tap to sanitize things or pop the lid and drop things down in it. I've kept a batch like this for up to 6 weeks without a problem. I'll make up a fresh batch about every two brewdays, just to keep it fresh and as someone else pointed out, it's pretty cheap in those quantities. I can also use CO2 to move it from keg to keg after they have been cleaned and rinsed.

Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 01-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #20
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkenjager
I don't know why you sound so bitter about it...
I really didn't mean to sound bitter about it, I didn't think I came off that way. My personal opinion is that Charley would say "it's inefective when cloudy" because not saying so may hurt the image of the brand. I've never used Star San that was not cloudy and I think it's still effective. This may not ALWAYS be the case so rather than say "It might be effective" he says it isn't - that way the product is exceptional if it works.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Quick Reply