Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Star San Solution life

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
BrooZer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Star San Solution life

CAn i leave a solution of star san in a spray bottle for a few days. This way i can spray it on anything I need or open the bottle and dump some out to use. Im going to put some in the spray bottle anyway so i was wondering how long it can sit.

Thanks!

Life, Liberty, And The Pursuit of Hoppyness

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
robnog
Recipes 

I think it stays good for weeks and maybe even months. I leave about a gallon in a pot that I use to sanitize keg parts, airlocks, etc.

You can tell when it starts to go off because it gets cloudy.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Yes, lots of people do this. If you search you should find plenty of examples. Starsan remains effective as long as it's clean and clear and the pH is below a certain level - I think it's 3.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't think cloudiness has anything to do with it. Mine gets cloudy when I leave any plastics in it for awhile (even quicker if I sanitize some bottles that have silkscreened labels, like stone or rogue)---but it's still effective. I just add an ounce or so to my 17-gallon bucket of solution every couple weeks. Once it gets cloudy enough, I'll dump it and make a new batch.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
jcb317
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mixing star san in distilled or RO water will extend the shelf life, but the best way to check viability is checking PH as said above.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
I don't think cloudiness has anything to do with it. Mine gets cloudy when I leave any plastics in it for awhile (even quicker if I sanitize some bottles that have silkscreened labels, like stone or rogue)---but it's still effective.
From the man himself:
http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/...threadid=10932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Talley
First it is still active as long as the pH is below 3, and the solution is clear. When the solution turns cloudy the soap in Star San has reacted with the mineral in the make-up water and has made the final solution useless.
My 32oz bottle cost me about $16, so it costs me 10 cents a gallon to mix up solution. ANY time that I use it and have ANY doubt whether it got contaminated at all I don't hesitate to throw it out. For the price, I don't lose any sleep over getting only a single use out of it once in a while when sanitizing certain things, especially since MOST of the time I can reuse it many times.

Last edited by Funkenjaeger; 01-10-2008 at 05:13 PM.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #7
BrooZer
Recipes 

So if my solution is greenish does that mean it came in contact with soap? I take it that it is bad then.

Life, Liberty, And The Pursuit of Hoppyness

Old 01-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #8
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Don't know about greenish. But as far as spray bottles are concerned, since a spray bottle is a closed environment, if you mix it at the correct concentration, and if you use "good" water (e.g. distilled, RO, I even just use anything "bottled") it should last virtually indefinitely as long as contamination is prevented..

I said virtually, use your common sense of course. When in doubt, make a new batch, right?

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 01-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #9
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That line from Charley about SS turning cloudy making it useless... If this is true, we don't need to sanitize, since almost every BIT of Star San I've ever used has been cloudy. It turns cloudy for me after about 5 hours and if that statement is as true as he says (being useless) then I need to investigate other sanitizer options (or start a "sanitization is pointless" trend.).

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 01-10-2008, 11:34 PM   #10
Jim Karr

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I've got a batch of SS in my spray bottle that I've used for months. When I shake it, and it still gets foamy, I think it's still OK. It still has that "smell" when I spray it on a surface.

As for me and my household, we shall serve the Lord. Joshua

"God is great, beer is good, people are crazy." Some country artist

Quick Reply