Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Star San Frustration

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
hcfd918
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Star San Frustration

I have been using regular Star San for quite awhile. I would say for about the last 8 to 10 batches I have notices what appears to be a thin layer of oil on top of the beer after I transfer to the secondary. There has never been an issue with taste, poor head retention, or anything else. It still bugs me. So I went and got some Io Star San to try. My normal practice is to mix up about 2.5 gallons of sanitizer in a 5 gallon bucket. My guess after researching forums here and other sources on the internet was that the regular Star San was degrading the plastic bucket because it is acidic and therefore causing oil slick looking layer (kinda like what you see when motor oil drips on a puddle of water in a parking lot but not as bad). Today I mixed a little regular Star San in my carboy directly. I used the Io star in the bucket for my auto siphon. The thin layer is still present. Now I am even more frustrated. I really don't think this is affecting the quality of my beer but it is still driving me nuts. I am pretty sure it's not from residual soap as I rinse the h*** out of all my stuff after cleaning. Anyone experienced anything like this? Should I just not worry about it since I don't have any quality issues? Also with the Io Star San, I am reading at the recommended concentration it requires you to rinse after use. Can I rinse with regular tap water(which is well water for me)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I thought your thread title was 'Star San Franciscan' at first.

Have you tried a different sanitizer? Kyle

Old 01-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 60

What the heck is Io star san, and at the recommended concentrations on Five Star Star San, as printed on the bottle, you definitely do not need to rinse.

EDIT: aaah it is their version of iodophor. I dunno about Five Star's take on it, but if you use iodophor in the correct dilution you shouldn't have to rinse.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I have always seen that very thin layer on beer that has completed fermentation and is has cleared...in both glass and plastic. I have always attributed it to the very small quantity of organic oils present in beer that make their way to the surface once everything has settled down after fermentation.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com
dannylerch Likes This 
Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
Enf0rc3r
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer
i have always seen that very thin layer on beer that has completed fermentation and is has cleared...in both glass and plastic. I have always attributed it to the very small quantity of organic oils present in beer that make their way to the surface once everything has settled down after fermentation.
+1

Quick Reply