Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Star San foam a yeast killer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
punk_rockin2001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Star San foam a yeast killer?

I just switched to star san recently and read a lot about "don't fear the foam" although it still seems strange to me to have that foam in a lot of places you'd think it shouldn't be. Yesterday was the first time I used it to sanitize a carboy for primary and it had plenty of foam in it after I dumped it out. But no fear, right? I always pour my yeast in to the carboy and then pour the wort in. So after the yeast was poured in, it just chilled out in there w/all that foam for probably 1 min or more before I got the wort in. Since star san only takes 20 seconds to go to work is it possible that I at least damaged some of my yeast slurry while it was sitting on top of all that sanitizer? as a side note right now, 29 hours later, it is starting to show the first signs of fermentation. not even close to bubbling but the yeast is at least starting to gather on top now. Thats 3 times longer than its ever taken. From now on I think I'll mix the yeast in to the wort first, instead of pour it on the star san foam.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

I dont forsee the foam as the culprit, then again I have never poured yeast directly into the foam alone.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:19 AM   #3
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I did the exact same thing. Poured the yeast in first.

I had explosive, foil-airlock-removing, make a mess of the carboy fermentation on both batches. SO I don't think you kill all the yeast, but I wouldn't doubt it does sanitize some.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:29 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Starsan actually becomes yeast food...so you should be just fine....

You should listen to this great podcast with chuck talley the inventor of starsan, it will put ALL your starsan worries aside.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...br03-29-07.mp3

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-01-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Actually the problem is not the starsan, first fermentation can take up to 72 hours for the yeasties to start, it's called lag time.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ferm...e-signs-43635/

Secondly, what do you define as a "sign of fermentation?" I don't see you mentioning a gravity reading, so I'm going to assume that you, like 99% of the other "My beer's not fermenting" thread starters, are going by airlock bubbling NOT a hydrometer reading.

Get out of the idea of using "airlock bubbling" as a sign of fermentation, you have to realize that airlock activity is not an accurate indication of fermentation...an airlock is a vent for excess co2, nothing more...and half of my beers never bubble.

Read this...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/1217925-post3.html

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in.....

but since it hasn't been 72 hours I wouldn't worry..ut don't rely on airlock bubbling....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-01-2009, 12:44 AM   #6
HairyDogBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yeast are much more tolerant of low pH than bacteria.
It's one of their defense mechanisms.
Some breweries wash their yeast with dilute acids to kill
most of the bacteria while leaving most of the yeast unharmed.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:06 AM   #7
punk_rockin2001
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Actually the problem is not the starsan, first fermentation can take up to 72 hours for the yeasties to start, it's called lag time.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ferm...e-signs-43635/

Secondly, what do you define as a "sign of fermentation?" I don't see you mentioning a gravity reading, so I'm going to assume that you, like 99% of the other "My beer's not fermenting" thread starters, are going by airlock bubbling NOT a hydrometer reading.

Get out of the idea of using "airlock bubbling" as a sign of fermentation, you have to realize that airlock activity is not an accurate indication of fermentation...an airlock is a vent for excess co2, nothing more...and half of my beers never bubble.

Read this...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/1217925-post3.html

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in.....

but since it hasn't been 72 hours I wouldn't worry..ut don't rely on airlock bubbling....
Yikes, sorry revvy I didn't mean to offend anyone w/a "my beers not fermenting" thread. But I never said my beers not fermenting. I was just wondering how the star san would affect the yeast. Thanks for the info though!

Old 06-01-2009, 01:18 AM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_rockin2001 View Post
Yikes, sorry revvy I didn't mean to offend anyone w/a "my beers not fermenting" thread. But I never said my beers not fermenting. I was just wondering how the star san would affect the yeast. Thanks for the info though!
You didn't offend, but you did say this...

Quote:
as a side note right now, 29 hours later, it is starting to show the first signs of fermentation. not even close to bubbling but the yeast is at least starting to gather on top now.
That sets an alarm bell off form me, since so many new brewers put so much stock in the airlock...I've cut and pasted the same basic answer 4 times in the last hour) Since the alarm when off I didn't catch that you saw krausen......

So you know it's all good...

Old 06-01-2009, 01:57 AM   #9
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

I dump yeast right on the foam in the Better Bottle all the time.

For instance, I dumped a slurry of Danstar Munich onto the star san foam Friday, then racked my wheat wort on top. Next morning, the krausen was up in the blowoff tube. It is still going nuts.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I"m starting to think I'm the only one that adds my yeast AFTER putting the wort in primary...

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply