Star San Cleanup on Floor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmickey

Reaction score
Ok, so let's just say I had a StarSan mishap on the Pergo type fake wood floor in the closet. It probably dripped a 1/4" out of the StarSan lid onto the floor and sat there a week. I thought I had cleaned it up pretty well using a rag and water but I'm afraid I have not. It seems like if I get it a little wet it almost just suds up on the floor and the area is white.

Suggestions on trying to get that out of/off the floor and clean it up? I think part of the problem is it may have gotten in the seam as well.

Looking for advice. Learned my lesson to be a little more careful with this stuff which I new already and thus the reason I put it in the closet.

It does'nt matter is its water or starsan. If it gets in the seam long enough it will swell. The only way to fix it is to replace it. From a professional flooring installer. Wipe it off best you can with a damp towel over and over. Maybe it will work.

Area is white? Ouch, sounds like you bleached your wood.

Starsan is highly acidic, especially when undiluted. The answers to acids are either dilution or bases. Oxyclean (which is basic) would probably help, or lots of water.

Edit: nevermind about lots of water, after reading what the dude above me said. I should have said "lots of damp rags" I guess :).

star san is poweful stuff in concentrated form. a buddy of mine accidentally etched his granite counters with the stuff. he wife was PISSED. At least your mishap is inside of the closet.

Back