New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Star San/Is it the Bubbles or the Liquid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #11
Beerrific
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If you want to hear where I get that from look up the interviews with Charlie Talley, inventor of Star San, on BasciBrewing Radio or The BrewingNetwork. He even tells commercial breweries to let it soak and then assemble (talking about valves, etc.) wet. You can make the analogy to home brewing set-ups.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2007, 08:45 PM   #12
Brewno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use Star San.
I usually fill a bucket with 2.5 gal of water and star san mix and then fill my carboy with that. I then swirl it around in there and give it a good shake and then pour it back in the bucket. I'm now done with the carboy and I put it upside down on a sanitized carboy stand thingy after sponging (with sanitizer) the mouth and surrounding area. As far as anything else coming in contact with the beer, after sanitizing I lay it out on sanitized aluminum foil or I just leave it in the bucket.
I usually give it another "dip" in the solution before using it if I had it laying out. If I am using something that is clean I just dip it in the solution and don't worry about time. It's wet with sanitizer and by the time I use it 30 secs to a minute have passed and although it isn't soaking in the bucket it is still covered with sanitizer so IMO is good to go.

For example if i had to change a stopper or an airlock i would dip it in the bucket and then walk to the carboy hold the air lock for a few seconds and then insert.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply