Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Star-san

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
H-Man
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Star-san

Folks, what are the star-San Do's and Dont's ?
I just picked some up tonight and the instructions on the bottle are written in a font that is unreadable almost to the naked eye.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Man View Post
Folks, what are the star-San Do's and Dont's ?
I just picked some up tonight and the instructions on the bottle are written in a font that is unreadable almost to the naked eye.
I had to put my glasses on to read mine. Some things to know though is use it and do not fear the foam

Old 01-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

This podcast should tell you everything you need to know.

Quote:
March 29, 2007 - Sanitizing with Bleach and Star San
Charlie Talley from Five Star Chemicals tells us best practices in using household bleach and Star San in sanitizing equipment.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-25-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Pretty much all you need to know is the dilution rate which is 6ml per gallon of water. Get yourself a cheap medicine syringe at walgreen or walmart and measuring out the amount is easy. Once its diluted its pretty safe I would be more careful handling the concentrated solution. Here is a tip, mix it with distilled water in a spray bottle and it never goes bad so you can spot sanitize smaller items. Other then that I am sure if you go to their website you can read all the official literature there.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Don't set the concentrated Star San bottle on a Formica surface. Chances are there is concentrate residue on the bottom of the bottle that will acid etch your countertop. Ok you have been warned!

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 01-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

The stuff has a OG of 1.3ish or something like that, I think it is fully fermentable.

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 01-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear101 View Post
The stuff has a OG of 1.3ish or something like that, I think it is fully fermentable.

????????

No it's not fermentable. But it does break down into what amounts to yeast food when it comes in contact with yeast.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

From Five Star (Download Tech Sheet)

 PROPERTIES
APPEARANCE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ………... . . LIGHT BROWN
ODOR . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ………... .. . SLIGHTLY ALCOHOLIC
PHOSPHATE CONTENT AS % Phosphorus . . . ... ………... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 5.8%
SPECIFIC GRAVITY. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ………. . . .1.320

Must be the raw product or I'm reading it wrong? Some other type of Specific Gravity?

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 01-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
From Five Star (Download Tech Sheet)

 PROPERTIES
APPEARANCE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ………... . . LIGHT BROWN
ODOR . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ………... .. . SLIGHTLY ALCOHOLIC
PHOSPHATE CONTENT AS % Phosphorus . . . ... ………... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 5.8%
SPECIFIC GRAVITY. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ………. . . .1.320

Must be the raw product or I'm reading it wrong? Some other type of Specific Gravity?
Every liquid has a specific gravity, that just means the density of the liquid, it doesn't necessarily mean it's density comes from sugar, or that it is fermentable. Here's a chart of specific gravities for many liquids, very few of which are fermentables.

Gear101 Likes This 
Old 01-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Lead has a pretty high OG or SG

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0
Revvy Likes This 

Quick Reply