Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > stainless VS copper wort chillers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #1
gizmodog51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default stainless VS copper wort chillers

after years of doing extract/grain brewing using the old method of cooling wort by dumping it upon two gallons of ice cold water in a carboy submerged in ice water & rock salt ....i'm now gearing up to do BIAB and am wondering if the 1/2" stainless tubed immersion chillers are as efficient as the smaller 3/8" tubed copper immersion units now being sold. it seems nobody is producing a large copper 1/2" chiller due to the price of copper.
i would like to use an immersion chiller so the cold break trub can be left in the pot.

thanx for any feed back....

GD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a friend the BIAB, and uses a SS immersion chiller, he picked it up off amazon for like $50.00. He loves it. If I still used an IC, I would get SS, instead of copper, but I like pretty. Just my thoughts.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
gizmodog51
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

thanx for the reply....

looks like it'll be a stainless.

just an addendum: i plan on scrounging a washer machine pump which is belt driven. taking a garage sale cooler and about 10' of coiled 1/2" copper tubing and pumping rock salt water -7.5 degrees though the chiller via the pump using an old electric motor. a ball valve will be in there somewhere or something like an ols gate valve to adjust flow.
i just remembered today about a 300GPH pond pump that i believe will work out much better than using a washer pump which has to be primed and driven by a seperate motor.
no, i didn't dream it up, but saw this work on you tube under red neck chiller.

cheersl

GD51

Reason: addemdum 5 oct 12 4:00pm EST

Old 10-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I would go for a 1/2 over a 3/8, regardless of the material.
The narrower diameter will restrict the water flow more, slowing down the throughput.

(just remember - with an IC, stirring = way more cooling)

Quick Reply