Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Stainless steel vs. Aluminum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
axr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stainless steel vs. Aluminum

couple questions on alum vs. stainless:

I've brewed two batches using a 5 gal stainless steel kettle but want to increase my brewing volume and do full boils and be able to take my operation outdoors. I recently came across a turkey fryer set up (7.5 gal kettle and burner) but think it's made of aluminum.

Questions are:

1. Does brewing in an aluminum kettle have an adverse affect on the wort (or any affect)?
    1. Can I drill and attach a ball valve and thermometer onto an alum kettle?

Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 27 Posts

1. No
1. Yes
1. Read this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-p...alysis-109318/

Old 04-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
axr
Recipes 

Thanks for rapid reply llazy llama. I've actually read the This vs. That analysis, but I never scrolled down past the omitted threads.

Is there a DIY thread on the site that explains how to convert a kettle and attach ball valve and thermometer? I'd like to save some cash and do it myself if possible (am pretty handy).

Old 04-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Bayou 30qt Aluminum Turkey Fryer Pot
w/ all the fixxin's

Billy-Klubb

Old 04-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
axr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Bayou 30qt Aluminum Turkey Fryer Pot
w/ all the fixxin's

Sweet! nice rig AnOldUR. Any advice on how to build it with ball valve and thermometer? (I don't think I need a sight glass at this time). I've been searching through the DIY threads and most of them are dealing with projects with much greater sophistication. I'm still a noo-b

thanks

Old 04-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by axr View Post
Sweet! nice rig AnOldUR. Any advice on how to build it with ball valve and thermometer? (I don't think I need a sight glass at this time). I've been searching through the DIY threads and most of them are dealing with projects with much greater sophistication. I'm still a noo-b
thanks
Got the pot at a local yard sale, all the valve hardware came from Bargain Fittings, the thermometer came from some guy on eBay and the sight glass from Bobby_M. The aluminum on the turkey fryers is pretty thin, so it's easy to drill. I used a 3/4" spade drill made for wood and opened it up just enough for a snug fit using a Dremel with a barrel sander. It's a pretty easy project. Good-luck!

Billy-Klubb

Quick Reply