stainless steel pot question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anteup02

Reaction score
my brewpot was getting kind of old and gross looking so i decided it was time to spend some money on a nice stainless steel pot (for extract brewing, partial boils). I was glancing over the "use and care" instructions and it says "To prevent warping, avoid sudden temperature changes such as immersing hot cookware in cod water." Since I use the ice bath method to cool, was was wondering if there is anything to this warning message? I am tempted to just ignore it and assume my pot will be fine.

You'll be fine. Remember your pot is full of hot liquid, so it's going to cool relatively slowly. If you can cool it fast enough to warp a pot, your process is much better than mine! ;) They mean not to put an empty hot pot into cold water.

You'll be fine. Remember your pot is full of hot liquid, so it's going to cool relatively slowly. If you can cool it fast enough to warp a pot, your process is much better than mine! ;) They mean not to put an empty hot pot into cold water.

+1 Similarly, don't dump water into an empty red hot kettle that was left on a lit burner by mistake. It's better to let it cool slowly if possible.

thanks for the replies! what a dumb question now that i think about it, i completely forgot to factor in the wort that will be in the pot!

Back