Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Stainless steel or aluminum kettle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
Nike_Eayrs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Stainless steel or aluminum kettle?

I'm taking the next step to all grain and full boil brewing. Home Depot has a couple different turkey fryer kits. One has a 30qt aluminum kettle and the other has a 30qt stainless steel kettle. The stainless one is roughly twice the cost. I've read a lot of conflicting information on this subject, stating aluminum is okay v.s. aluminum is aweful. Anybody with aluminum that hates/loves it? Thanks for the help. Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

id go for a bigger pot. those are kinda small. and alum or ss dont matter

Old 07-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
runbad
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Aluminum pots seem fine by me. I got a heavy duty 60qt from the kitchen store. It's extremely effective at conducting heat.

Electrolysis might be a concern if you store dissimilar metals in contact for long periods. Found that out by leaving my spoon in my small stainless pot.

Sorry started early today

Old 07-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
carltjones
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Aluminum hasn't caused any off-flavors for me. 30 qt size will cause more boilovers or smaller batches. I now use a 1/2 barrel keg for boiling and life is easier.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
Gartywood
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Aluminum pots are fine if you ensure that they have an oxidation layer is my understanding. I used to brew with an aluminum turkey fryer pot. it got pitted and I couldn't beleive that it was good for making beer. I upgraded to a stainless pot about 8 years ago and it is still in great shape. My opinion based on experience is that stainless will last longer. Also if you want to add a valve (which makes for a way easier time of filling your fermenters) I wouldn't personally ever drill an aluminum pot and install a stainless of brass valve due to the dissimiliar metal interaction.

Go Stainless for the long haul or aluminum to get started cheap. If i were starting out again I would probably go with the 30 qt aluminum turkey got and upgrade to a 10 - 15 gallon stainless down the line. (which is what I did to start but I got the aluminum pot for free.)

Old 07-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartywood View Post
Aluminum pots are fine if you ensure that they have an oxidation layer is my understanding. I used to brew with an aluminum turkey fryer pot. it got pitted and I couldn't beleive that it was good for making beer. I upgraded to a stainless pot about 8 years ago and it is still in great shape. My opinion based on experience is that stainless will last longer. Also if you want to add a valve (which makes for a way easier time of filling your fermenters) I wouldn't personally ever drill an aluminum pot and install a stainless of brass valve due to the dissimiliar metal interaction.

Go Stainless for the long haul or aluminum to get started cheap. If i were starting out again I would probably go with the 30 qt aluminum turkey got and upgrade to a 10 - 15 gallon stainless down the line. (which is what I did to start but I got the aluminum pot for free.)
This is great advice

Old 07-17-2012, 12:36 AM   #7
KingKlong
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

i bought the aluminum set up. boil overs were a problem until i upgraded my pot.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:14 AM   #8
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Aluminum pots will not be as pretty or shiny...but the beer will taste the same, depends on the thickness of your wallet and personal preference. I would not spend double on a stainless TF vs. an aluminum one.

"Go stainless for the long haul" ????

That implies that an aluminum pot will wear out quickly....what rubbish!

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Corona Mill Bucket System V. 2

Old 07-17-2012, 04:29 AM   #9
Gartywood
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I had an aluminum pot and it got pitted and crappy. Maybe it was due to the care we gave it. I don't know I was 22 and brewing half assed (or was it half-cocked) at the time. The stainless pot that replaced the pitted one when I was 23 is still with me 8 years later and looks practically brand new.

You will note that I recommended getting the aluminum pot turkey fryer because he would probably want a 10-15 gallon pot and the stainless pot would end up retired after spending extra.

Edit: replacement pot was stainless

Old 07-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartywood View Post
I had an aluminum pot and it got pitted and crappy. Maybe it was due to the care we gave it. I don't know I was 22 and brewing half assed (or was it half-cocked) at the time. The pot that replaced the pitted one when I was 23 is still with me 8 years later and looks practically brand new.

You will note that I recommended getting the aluminum pot turkey fryer because he would probably want a 10-15 gallon pot and the stainless pot would end up retired after spending extra.
Good points...agreed, cheers

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Corona Mill Bucket System V. 2

Quick Reply