HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Stainless steel or aluminum kettle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Nike_Eayrs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Stainless steel or aluminum kettle?

I'm taking the next step to all grain and full boil brewing. Home Depot has a couple different turkey fryer kits. One has a 30qt aluminum kettle and the other has a 30qt stainless steel kettle. The stainless one is roughly twice the cost. I've read a lot of conflicting information on this subject, stating aluminum is okay v.s. aluminum is aweful. Anybody with aluminum that hates/loves it? Thanks for the help. Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 15

id go for a bigger pot. those are kinda small. and alum or ss dont matter

Old 07-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
runbad
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Aluminum pots seem fine by me. I got a heavy duty 60qt from the kitchen store. It's extremely effective at conducting heat.

Electrolysis might be a concern if you store dissimilar metals in contact for long periods. Found that out by leaving my spoon in my small stainless pot.

Sorry started early today

Old 07-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
carltjones
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Aluminum hasn't caused any off-flavors for me. 30 qt size will cause more boilovers or smaller batches. I now use a 1/2 barrel keg for boiling and life is easier.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
Gartywood
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Aluminum pots are fine if you ensure that they have an oxidation layer is my understanding. I used to brew with an aluminum turkey fryer pot. it got pitted and I couldn't beleive that it was good for making beer. I upgraded to a stainless pot about 8 years ago and it is still in great shape. My opinion based on experience is that stainless will last longer. Also if you want to add a valve (which makes for a way easier time of filling your fermenters) I wouldn't personally ever drill an aluminum pot and install a stainless of brass valve due to the dissimiliar metal interaction.

Go Stainless for the long haul or aluminum to get started cheap. If i were starting out again I would probably go with the 30 qt aluminum turkey got and upgrade to a 10 - 15 gallon stainless down the line. (which is what I did to start but I got the aluminum pot for free.)

Old 07-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartywood View Post
Aluminum pots are fine if you ensure that they have an oxidation layer is my understanding. I used to brew with an aluminum turkey fryer pot. it got pitted and I couldn't beleive that it was good for making beer. I upgraded to a stainless pot about 8 years ago and it is still in great shape. My opinion based on experience is that stainless will last longer. Also if you want to add a valve (which makes for a way easier time of filling your fermenters) I wouldn't personally ever drill an aluminum pot and install a stainless of brass valve due to the dissimiliar metal interaction.

Go Stainless for the long haul or aluminum to get started cheap. If i were starting out again I would probably go with the 30 qt aluminum turkey got and upgrade to a 10 - 15 gallon stainless down the line. (which is what I did to start but I got the aluminum pot for free.)
This is great advice

Old 07-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
KingKlong
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

i bought the aluminum set up. boil overs were a problem until i upgraded my pot.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:14 AM   #8
wilserbrewer
Vendor
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 329 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Aluminum pots will not be as pretty or shiny...but the beer will taste the same, depends on the thickness of your wallet and personal preference. I would not spend double on a stainless TF vs. an aluminum one.

"Go stainless for the long haul" ????

That implies that an aluminum pot will wear out quickly....what rubbish!

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 07-17-2012, 03:29 AM   #9
Gartywood
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I had an aluminum pot and it got pitted and crappy. Maybe it was due to the care we gave it. I don't know I was 22 and brewing half assed (or was it half-cocked) at the time. The stainless pot that replaced the pitted one when I was 23 is still with me 8 years later and looks practically brand new.

You will note that I recommended getting the aluminum pot turkey fryer because he would probably want a 10-15 gallon pot and the stainless pot would end up retired after spending extra.

Edit: replacement pot was stainless

Old 07-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
wilserbrewer
Vendor
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 329 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartywood View Post
I had an aluminum pot and it got pitted and crappy. Maybe it was due to the care we gave it. I don't know I was 22 and brewing half assed (or was it half-cocked) at the time. The pot that replaced the pitted one when I was 23 is still with me 8 years later and looks practically brand new.

You will note that I recommended getting the aluminum pot turkey fryer because he would probably want a 10-15 gallon pot and the stainless pot would end up retired after spending extra.
Good points...agreed, cheers

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Quick Reply