Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Stainless Kettle too good to be true.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 01:56 AM   #61
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincade

Same kettle is avail from brewsteel with welded/soldered fittings customized however you want. That is where i will buy next time.
Yes, for a hundred bucks more.

I added a ball valve to it. I'm gong to wrap it and turn it into an electric HLT. Its a great kettle, built lke a rhino. The only thing I don't like about is its shape. I did a 8 gallon batch in it and my IC had half the coils submerged. It still works great for the bigger batches. But I want a lttle more versatility from my BK
Mikeysab on untappd.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 03:27 AM   #62
bphelan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

So you had no problems with Wares Direct? I'm thinking about ordering one based on this thread

Old 01-07-2012, 03:41 AM   #63
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I had no problems at all. I ordered the 80 qt update international aluminum pot and a lid seperately, and it came within a week. No problems whatsoever. I'd order from them again in a heartbeat.

The only reason I haven't ordered it yet is because of the shape of the pot. It's 18 in diameter x 14 in height. If that were reversed, I'd have bought it already. I just don't want to have problems with having my IC half submerged in wort. I may still buy it, but I'm trying to find something better suited for my IC. The bayou classic pots are tall and narrow, but they got pretty harsh reviews. I"m still on the hunt, but decision should be made soon, since I"m just looking at the same sites over and over now.

Mikeysab on untappd.

Reason: I'm an idiot

Old 01-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #64
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 54

***For Clarification***

I've had a few people email me regarding the problem we had with kettles being smaller than 15 gallons... This problem has been corrected and the new kettles are actually a little larger than 15 gallons.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:56 AM   #65
brewn00b4
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I don't want to start a new thread, but I thought I'd post some about the kettle I got in the mail today:

I found few user pictures of their kettles from spike so I am posting some of my own for future brewers who don't know which way to go.

I got the 15gal with horizontal fittings and one of the temperature probes:

The kettle itself is very well built. I had some frustrations while deciding where to purchase from, figuring out which thickness of metal would suffice. I do not see any issues with this kettle bending under pressure or falling apart. The metal seems durable and won't have issues with a 10 gallon batch at all.

The handles are riveted on, as is the lid.

I was a bit disappointed at first glance with the welds. They didn't seem as clean as what was pictured on the site:
I do realize that as long as the weld is made properly this isn't going to cause any problems, just a nit picking item.

Mine:

Also, the kettle is bent in slightly around both of the weld spots. I'm not sure if this is required to make the weld properly or not. It's not a major deformation but you can tell looking from the outside.

The inside looked fine, and from what I've read it's quite difficult to get the inside looking perfect anyway

I'm sure with some teflon tape this won't matter because I won't need to screw it in all the way, but screwing the probe in all the way results in the dial being upside down.

Next is the customer service. Shortly after ordering the kettle I realized I had forgotten the temperature probe. I emailed ben asking if I could wire him some money through paypal so he could include the order in my kettle purchase so I wouldn't have to pay shipping (order over $75 get free FedEx shipping).
He responded within a few hours showing me how to place the order so I wouldn't be charged shipping, very prompt and to the point. A+ there

In summary, if I have to purchase another kettle again and don't know how to weld at that time, I will be returning to spike for mine. Quick shipping along with prompt customer service and a great quality product at a competitive price. The few small issues are quite insignificant to the rest of the product. I would recommend spike brewing to anyone who wants to invest in an affordable kettle.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:16 AM   #66
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Thanks for the write up, great job!

You even pointed out a few areas we're working on improving the product. The Engineer in me likes to focus on functionality first and cosmetic second. We're working on getting them equal without increasing the cost!

Old 09-05-2012, 05:19 AM   #67
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2688 Times on 2086 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Those welds don't look too bad. The welder was running a little hot maybe, GMAW or whatever it was. That would make sense because it's not usually as cosmetic as some other techniques but very effective for plate and thin walled stuff. That's probably why the side warped a little bit, but I doubt it will ever effect the performance. A couple people in my homebrew club have these kettles and they have been happy with them.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #68
BelgianTex
Recipes 

I like what I'm seeing on these pots. Does anyone have any basis for comparison with the Bayou pots that are roughly in the same price range ? I know the Bayou's are 20 Gauge and at 1 mm these seem to be in the same ballpark (19 perhaps).

Anyone any comparison ?

Old 02-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #69
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Not trying to hijack but since the thread got brought back up I want to update with some more recent pics. All couplers are sanitary welded on according to an AWS Standard for sanitary welding

Inside Weld

Outside Weld

Old 02-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #70
yewtah-brewha
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 66

how did you find this on wares site, I went there looks like a cool site, but not very easy to nav. didnt see any brewing links, even searched 'beer' all I got was muggs

Quick Reply