Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Stainless Conical Fermenter from Bitter Creek Homebrew: Review ala Boerderij Kabouter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3168 Times on 3073 Posts
Likes Given: 173

That looks really nice. Rich is coming up with some really cool stuff.

Imagine three of those behind a bar as serving tanks... your own "mini" brewpub.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #12
samc
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

FWIW - if it is the same price as the Blichmann but somewhat better I would spend my money on the made in the USA product. I am only tempted by made in China when it is so far below the price of made in USA stuff that I can't resist the temptation to buy. And I hate myself for doing it.

That's just my skewed view of things! I pretty much sub all domestic grains for recipes calling for foreign items as well.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #13
Whiskey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Look's like a pretty good setup. Do you know if they plan on making a samller version? Has there been any mention of what these will cost?

Old 05-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

There will be a smaller version tailored toward 5g brewers.

The cost estimate at this point is to be cost competitive with the Blichmann. I won't make any judgment yet, but based on the physical attributes, this is a way better fermenter and would be a better buy that the Blichmann IMO.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #15
Displaced MassHole
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

That thing looks awesome! Nice review as well.

But.............how much?

One option I would like to see is the possibility of adding a spray ball to the inside of the lid to recirc some star-san for ease of sanitizing (if it's a possibility)

Also, as pretty as that thing is all shined up on the outside I'd be willing to go without if it brought the price down a bit.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #16
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nice! I've been looking forward to seeing pictures of one of these. Looks good.

The only concern I have are the dimensions. It's a bit "undersquare" compared to the blichmann, and while that does make it take up less floor space it is not as optimal for the fermentation process, from my understanding. Of course if it was really a concern, you could always fill it less

Also- if there is a worry about the bottom dump valve clogging, would the elbow and the small nipple be a problem too? Did that come with the unit?

Old 05-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #17
drez77
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Although the legs look nice I am not sure how easy it would be to add extensions to them. I used angle iron to add extensions to my Blichmann and added some caster wheels so I can move it around easily. I also like the corny lid on the Blichmann for dry hopping. The 1" bottom valve and the clean exterior for a cooling jacket are pluses on this one though.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #18
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3168 Times on 3073 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBruver View Post
The only concern I have are the dimensions. It's a bit "undersquare" compared to the blichmann, and while that does make it take up less floor space it is not as optimal for the fermentation process, from my understanding. Of course if it was really a concern, you could always fill it less
Not really an issue with "optimal" shape but rather an issue with adjusting your process for the different surface area for ester production. Might need to change fermentation temperature or mash temp to duplicate a previous batch that was fermented in a "standard" carboy or bucket but that's not too big a deal.

Eagerly awaiting your results, BK.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:14 AM   #19
KevinP
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1

My sentiments exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
FWIW - if it is the same price as the Blichmann but somewhat better I would spend my money on the made in the USA product. I am only tempted by made in China when it is so far below the price of made in USA stuff that I can't resist the temptation to buy. And I hate myself for doing it.

That's just my skewed view of things! I pretty much sub all domestic grains for recipes calling for foreign items as well.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:30 AM   #20
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez77 View Post
Although the legs look nice I am not sure how easy it would be to add extensions to them. I used angle iron to add extensions to my Blichmann and added some caster wheels so I can move it around easily. I also like the corny lid on the Blichmann for dry hopping. The 1" bottom valve and the clean exterior for a cooling jacket are pluses on this one though.
The bottom of each leg is threaded and comes with adjustable leveling feet, which I forgot to send along. You will be able to add extensions to it or Castor's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBruver View Post
Also- if there is a worry about the bottom dump valve clogging, would the elbow and the small nipple be a problem too? Did that come with the unit?
No I added that and just forgot to remove it when I cycled a bunch of hot and cold water through it one day just to see if I could get the racking arm to leak, it passed with flying colors.

Quick Reply