New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > SS autosiphon... any interest??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #31
orangehero
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 99

I use a SS cane and CO2 to push beer around. Anyway I was trying to help this project by linking the other thread, since no one had bothered to search for it. Good luck with your infections and all, don't let it keep you up tossing and turning though!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #32
emjay
Lacto- and pediophile
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehero
I use a SS cane and CO2 to push beer around. Anyway I was trying to help this project by linking the other thread, since no one had bothered to search for it. Good luck with your infections and all, don't let it keep you up tossing and turning though!
That's nice, but not everyone kegs. I'm not saying the link wasn't welcome or appreciated, but did it really need to be followed by a statement as obvious and as asinine as "I think likely the cost to make a SS autosiphon could get you several plastic ones instead"? No shít.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #33
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

Emjay, you talk about sanitization and sours but I don't think even an ss would necessary be 100% safe in that regard. There's going still be at least on little silicone gasket or a valve of some sort that would not be made of ss, and there would be a gap that could be a bacteria risk.

To me it's value would be in being able to rack while the beer's still hot. You could rack boiling hot if you wanted, and nearly gaurentee wort sterility.

Of course racking boiling or near boiling would ensure that the ss autosiphon would indeed be sterile.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #34
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Emjay, you talk about sanitization and sours but I don't think even an ss would necessary be 100% safe in that regard. There's going still be at least on little silicone gasket or a valve of some sort that would not be made of ss, and there would be a gap that could be a bacteria risk. To me it's value would be in being able to rack while the beer's still hot. You could rack boiling hot if you wanted, and nearly gaurentee wort sterility

If it is all SS and silicon, you can put it in your oven and kill the bacteria. I would like to try racking boiling wort into my pyrex carboy, sitting in a bucket of ice water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenry View Post
Well I just ripped mine in half wrestling my siphon tubing off, so I'd definitely be interested in one if it wasn't absurdly priced.
I did the same over the weekend, so I'd be interested in a SS model. As for price, I need to replace the plastic model every year or two, so I would be willing to pay 2-3 times the price for one that would last.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #35
emjay
Lacto- and pediophile
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
Emjay, you talk about sanitization and sours but I don't think even an ss would necessary be 100% safe in that regard. There's going still be at least on little silicone gasket or a valve of some sort that would not be made of ss, and there would be a gap that could be a bacteria risk.

To me it's value would be in being able to rack while the beer's still hot. You could rack boiling hot if you wanted, and nearly gaurentee wort sterility.

Of course racking boiling or near boiling would ensure that the ss autosiphon would indeed be sterile.
You're right, I think I even said it's not 100% guaranteed, but it's a heck of a lot better than plastic, and can even be boiled.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #36
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I thought I would re-post this message since it was lost on the bottom of the last page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
Not according to the US patent office. There is a similar patent from 1977 (expired), but nothing for that design. This has already been discussed in the threads Revvy linked above.

That's because the company that designed the autosiphon is a Canadian company. The patents are registered in Canada, and the US and Canada share IP rights across the border thanks to NAFTA, among other agreements.

They print the respective patent numbers on the package, even. Or, at least they used to when I got mine.

That's not to say that you cannot make and sell something similar. But I would at least try to make sure that you aren't going to get sued out of existence before deciding to start a business. I mean you have to wonder why nobody else makes a similar product already when it would take all of a day to line up a Chinese manufacturer to make a copycat.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:30 PM   #37
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I do plan to have everything in the autosiphon made to easily withstand boiling temps, and above. So you would be able to sterilize it via boiling, baking, or autoclave (if you have one)...

I'm working on the mechanical aspects of the valve, as well as how to ensure the siphon gets started easily.

After reading that threads have been started (didn't come up in my search though :/) it's become a challenge to me. To the point where I simply MUST get at least a working prototype made. Simply put, I'm not going to accept failure.

Just saw the thread links from Revvy... Actually that helped me to do the first (rough) design of the business end of the main tube. I was really over-thinking it I think. Should be easy/cheap to make too. For the cane, it's just a matter of making the bottom end create a good seal to the inner wall of the other tube.

Not sure what pricing will be to make this, but I can't imagine too much since I've just really simplified the entire design. Basically, the main tube will be two fitted parts that will be easily cleaned. The racking cane will just need a slight modification to hold the seal to the main tube. Just need to get it drawn up so that I can get some prototypes made and go from there.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 06-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #38
LizardBrew83
Recipes 

Yes... Totally interested. I am tired of them showing age after only a few batches. I guess you can't use water that it is too hot when cleaning, but cold water never cleaned anything very well. Those damn sediment blockers always fall off and get lost too! If you could make one that screws on that would be awesome. Keep us posted!

Old 06-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #39
samc
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Doubt I'd have much use for one, but I'd probably buy it to help the cause. As long as you don't outsource production to China or similar!

Old 06-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #40
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You could avoide the valve issue by using the same method used by the Simple Siphon products
http://www.simplesiphon.com/products/
I see a simple siphon attached to a ss racking cane. Slide that into a ss tube and pump up and down in the tube. No need for a super tight interference fit, just use the larger ss tube as a guide to reduce splashing. Just a thought.

Oh yeah, and like Revvy I like the idea of moving boiling wort to an HDPE bucket under a no-chill process. That would be awesome.

N_G
It could be worse.

Quick Reply