Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Square cooler mash tun: braid or manifold

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
ericw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Square cooler mash tun: braid or manifold

I'm going to attempt my first all grain brew this weekend, and I need to build the mash tun this week. I was going to buy a round cooler from HD, but Lowes had a 40L square cooler for not much more than the 5 gallon I was looking at. I bought a 12" section of stainless braid for the round cooler, but I'm thinking it will be too small for the square one. Which would be better for a noob such as myself? If I do a manifold, I haven't decided on copper or PVC.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

IMO If you are going to batch sparge get the braid. It's way less work than cutting all of the slots for the manifold. It's also probably slightly cheaper, but it depends on your specific design. If you are going to fly sparge, you will likely need to build the manifold. I'd go with CPVC because it is way cheaper than copper. I just built a mash tun with the braid and it works fine. You don't really have to worry about it being too small because the liquid isn't really running down the length of the braid. It's just running out the bulk head and the braid is acting as a strainer.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
ericw
Recipes 

Thanks, I'll try to braid and see how it works. I was planing on batch sparge.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
Myke_J
Recipes 

I started batch sparging with a stainless braid and now I'm fly sparging with the same braid. I'm consistently getting 85% efficiency with my setup.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
sjlammer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a braid, but I put a stainless steel compression spring in it so that it doesn't crush. I also used the larger water heater braids. see here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bcs-...9/#post1805703

On Deck: Spruce APA, Chambord Fortified Chocolate Porter, Imperial IPA

Primary:
Primary:
Secondary: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Conical:
Lagering: None
Kegged/Drinking: Cascade, Cent., Amarillo Pale Ale
Kegged/Drinking: Belgian Pale Ale (HG yeast for yeast cropping see above)
Bottled: ESB

Quick Reply