Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Spunding valve - video

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2007, 06:13 AM   #1
Poindexter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Spunding valve - video

I seem to have crashed youtube tonight, or they crashed me, but I got one of three up there.

So I am going to edit some stuff into here now that you can see this very cool thing working. Thank you wortmonger...

[youtube]6m-uWqK7aNw[/youtube]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2007, 06:40 AM   #2
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Kay. Post one was for the gunners at the front of the classroom. Hopefully Kaiser and wortmonger will handle you guys' questions. All I know is this thing is really cool.

For the folks on the short bus with me:

A spunding valve holds a fermenter at a particular pressure. So you could (and I can w00t! w00t!) ferment and carbonate at the same time. So your beer is ready sooner. So if your round ball team makes the NCAA after all you are looking at 3 weeks grains to glass instead of 6 weeks.

I bought this stuff because of wortmonger's thread here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=44344

I just finished updating my brew house. Rather then go big on the hot side I decided to clean up the cold side first. Real hard to develop an infection in something boiling, lots of awards for folks who primary in stainless.

So I ditched all the plastic, ditched all the glass. I am running a 5gal SS kettle, five 5gal SS cornies, and I got a plastic bottling bucket if I need to bottle something.

So with the spunding valve I transfer from primary to secondary to serving keg without having to stand there twiddling my thumbs, and my risk of contamination is very low. Plus I get the 3 weeks grain to glass thing...

So, standard "line" in my new brew house, 9.5 feet of 3/16" ID:

For the calibration runs coming I put a black connector on each end.

Here is the top view of the setup you are about to see. No, I am not quitting my day job. "S" means source, T is target and C is the red tripod my camera was resting on for this.:

Finally, here is a view of the two pressure gages actually in focus:

I think I am about to run out of image tags per post...

Old 12-29-2007, 06:55 AM   #3
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So here is two views of the actual spunding valve I built.

I bought a nice SS grey Corny connector from LHBS. It was still in the Foxx bag, so you might save a few bucks if you order from them anyway.

I also got the two pieces wortmonger specified in the thread I already linked, from McMaster -Carr.

I used 1/4" ID regular hose that I got I think from the LHBS (the 3/16" ID I get at Home Depot), also a 1/4 hose barb T connector from LHBS, 6 SS hose clamps from Home Depot and two brass fittings. McMaster-Carr named the threads correctly.

I used a 1/8" male NPT to 1/4" hose barb and 1/4" female NPT to 1/4" hose barb. Both of the pipe thread to hose barb fittings are stock items at Home Depot, Lowe's might even have them in SS. Not sure about Ace hardware.

**Note: American National Pipe Thread is not the same as UK National Pipe Thread says the man who owns a car built in Australia...**

Total for just the spunding valve was $100-$110, though I could have used a plastic corny conenctor.

Here are pics from two angles:

Old 12-29-2007, 06:55 AM   #4
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Calibration with increasing pressure:

[youtube]KCpbTgwN-Jg[/youtube]

calibration under diminishing pressure:

[youtube]c26Tlog5zeM[/youtube]

Old 12-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
Nwcw2001
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So I may be dense and may be overthinking this, but how does your set up work exactly.

why are both kegs hooked up?

Please to explain for the thick headed folks like me!

Thanks for the video.

John

Old 12-29-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

He explained it to me. They were hooked up to show something he was wanting to isolate the spunding valve from. The jagged output waveform of the regulator on the CO2 tank. Sort of a buffer so he could evaluate the valve separate from the vagaries of the supply.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 12-29-2007, 07:33 PM   #7
WortMonger

Recipes 

Once wort is in the keg and he hooks up the spunding valve to the gas-in port on the keg, the other post would have a picnic tap hooked to it for testing/measuring gravity.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:40 PM   #8
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcw2001

why are both kegs hooked up?

John
There's a bunch of reasons.

First, I wanted to see the gauge of my spunding valve not responding to the saw tooth output on the regulator on my supply tank. 2 Corny's connected by ten feet of 3/16" is a great way to do that.

And I was originally interested in this setup as a way to minimize risk of infection when racking from primary to secondary, so it made sense to pressure test the transfer tube too.

And it was a great place to set the camera tripod.

And now that I have four gallons of steep/extract English Pale Ale pitched on 1.051 in corny number one, I still have more reasons to use a second keg.

Right now I have the four gallons of pitched wort in my primary with the black post blown empty from my CO2 tank and the pressure tested transfer hose on the grey post. The other end of the transfer hose in on the black post of my planned serving keg. I already have the 'other' gallon of RO water in the bottom of the serving keg. And my pretty new valve is on the grey post of the serving keg. And I blew that whole thing up to 5psi with CO2 via the black post on the primary. And that last gallon of water is going to carb along with the rest of the batch.

So if I end up not having enough head space in corny number one and I get krausen head pushing out the grey post on my primary I am going to be out 99 cents for a gallon of RO water but my pretty valve is gonna be OK.

And when it is time to push from primary to secondary I'll put the spunding valve on yet another keg so if I overfill th serving keg my pretty valve is still OK.

Need more Cornies. I want a dedicated corny for sanitizer, and I want a dedicated empty for my spunding valve to ride around on. And winning lottery tickets. And a shot at Jessica Simpson. And a supercharger for my car.

HTH,
P

Old 12-29-2007, 07:49 PM   #9
WortMonger

Recipes 

I hope you pre-boiled the RO water in the serving keg if you are going to blend after fermentation.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:51 PM   #10
WortMonger

Recipes 

Oh, also...... did you hook up your picnic tap to the primary black side for later gravity readings?

Quick Reply