Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Spirit filled thermometer accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
dscott60
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Spirit filled thermometer accuracy

Are spirit filled thermometers more accurate than digital? I have both, and my digital is 6 degrees cooler than the spirit filled at 167 degrees. I calibrated the digital at 32F using crushed ice/water and it was right on. BTW both are brand new and my digital is a Proaccurate digital thermometer.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/thermometers.html

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
dscott60
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Update:

I measured the temp with the spirit thermometer when it started to boil. It read 228F!!! So I guess the digital was the one I should've used. I guess this batch will be crap now.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 914 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 26

It depends on what you were using the thermometer for. It you're an all grain brewer, you're probably right. Mashing 10F too high is pretty bad.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply