Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Spigot in a glass carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007, 06:00 AM   #11
SuperiorBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just read this article in BYO the other night, the process sounded like a PITA

Put a Spigot in a Glass Carboy: Projects (May, 2003)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2007, 08:55 AM   #12
Kayos
disclaimers are sissy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanski
The only thing I see as a problem is getting a nut on the inside?

That really the only thing you can see as being a problem?

Better Bottles are PET. Who is PETE, bird?

Old 10-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #13
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We were installing a glass ledge on SS posts above our kitchen peninsula, and I went to the local glass shop to see what they'd charge to drill 8 tiny holes for mounting. $250. We ended up using super-strength glass tape.

And these were maybe 1/4" holes, in glass that's flat and more robust than a carboy. I imagine that if you took your carboy into a glass shop and asked them to drill a 1-2" hole in it, they'd laugh at you. "Sure buddy, we can try, but I can almost guarantee you we'll crack it". Drilling glass is a fools errand in most applications, and even worse in a situation like this where there's pressure exerted on it at all times, and it's curved.

I'd even be skeptical that many glass shops have a diamond bit that large in the first place...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #14
DraconianHand
nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you decide to drill your glass carboy, I would avoid using a center punch to make a starter divot. Glass is very hard to dent.

Ferminatin' - Route 666 Pale Ale

Figurin' to do - Oatmeal Stout, Gueuze, Belgian Blonde, Mild, English Pale Ale, Weizenbock

Old 10-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #15
trainfever
Recipes 

Go to your local fish aquarium store and ask them if they could drill it for you. Holes are drilled in the back of the tank for an overflow. You dont actually drill the glass, you are actually grinding a ring into it. Having holes drilled into tanks usually cost about 20.00 each. So that being said, I think it would be cheaper to buy a carboy with the hole already installed.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:35 PM   #16
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would think it would also make the carboy less structurally sound. As hard as I have set some of mine down on occasion I bet if I had drilled them they might not be with me now.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:18 PM   #17
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've seen a few glass implements with spigots (for milk), but never one one that was not cast/blown into the glass at it's creation. IMNSEO, for a stable bottle you'd be looking at a cut, polish, and re-glaze (melt) all of which carry significant risk of breakage.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:28 PM   #18
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos
That really the only thing you can see as being a problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos

Better Bottles are PET. Who is PETE, bird?
I've seen it written as PETE and PET.

Quote:
Polyethylene terephthalate (aka PET, PETE or the obsolete PETP or PET-P) is a thermoplastic polymer resin of the polyester family and is used in synthetic fibers; beverage, food and other liquid containers; thermoforming applications; and engineering resins often in combination with glass fiber. It is one of the most important raw materials used in man-made fibers.

Depending on its processing and thermal history, it may exist both as an amorphous (transparent) and as a semi-crystalline (opaque and white) material. Its monomer can be synthesized by the esterification reaction between terephthalic acid and ethylene glycol with water as a byproduct, or the transesterification reaction between ethylene glycol and dimethyl terephthalate with methanol as a byproduct. Polymerization is through a polycondensation reaction of the monomers (done immediately after esterification/transesterification) with ethylene glycol as the byproduct (the ethylene glycol is recycled in production).

The majority of the world's PET production is for synthetic fibers (in excess of 60%) with bottle production accounting for around 30% of global demand. In discussing textile applications, PET is generally referred to as simply "polyester" while "PET" is used most often to refer to packaging applications.

It is manufactured under trade names Arnite, Impet and Rynite, Ertalyte, Hostaphan, Melinex and Mylar films, and Dacron, Diolen, Terylene & Trevira fibers. [1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_terephthalate

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:36 PM   #19
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

They make these really cool racking canes that are rumored to lessen the risk of destroying glass carboys (please read being humours not smartarse) Really, the better bottles are the better option in this case. Why risk it on a 20.00 piece of glass.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:14 PM   #20
rohanski
Recipes 

OK, ya'll beat me to death on this one. I see the light. Just thought there was at least one crazy person out there that tried this.

Quick Reply