Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #981
BierFest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm pretty sure that I'll buy now. Still not sure about the copper hood. If you had the chance would you buy - the 20l model or the 50l model with the 20l malt pipe insert as an extra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post
?.......
Perhaps there needs to be a "normal operation" thread with schedules, recipes, BeerSmith parameters, etc. There are (relatively) few posts on just using it.
This is a fantastic idea. Yambor44 has made a start on this with his YouTube videos. I too have been wondering about the beersmith parameters. It would be a great help with this kit if we could nail down the beersmith parameters.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #982
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierFest View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm pretty sure that I'll buy now. Still not sure about the copper hood. If you had the chance would you buy - the 20l model or the 50l model with the 20l malt pipe insert as an extra?
I own the 20L version and would buy it again in a heartbeat despite my original problems. I very rarely brew 10G batches of any beer as I love variety in my pipeline and the brewing process in general. That said, I just bought an extra electric pot (2000 watt hot water heater element and Bayou Classic 44qt pot) so that I can do two simultaneous brews on the 20L. I'm going to mash the first brew then drain into the pot for boil, clean out the 20L, and then mash/boil my second batch while the first is boiling. Will share how this works with everyone as I'm going to try a double brew session in the next two weeks.

Overall, I love the Braumeister. Its not perfect, but nothing ever is.... It's close enough for me to give it a "buy" recommendation as I've brewed my very best beers on it with the least stress I've ever had in a brew session.
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 10-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #983
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
I own the 20L version and would buy it again in a heartbeat despite my original problems. I very rarely brew 10G batches of any beer as I love variety in my pipeline and the brewing process in general. That said, I just bought an extra electric pot (2000 watt hot water heater element and Bayou Classic 44qt pot) so that I can do two simultaneous brews on the 20L. I'm going to mash the first brew then drain into the pot for boil, clean out the 20L, and then mash/boil my second batch while the first is boiling. Will share how this works with everyone as I'm going to try a double brew session in the next two weeks.

Overall, I love the Braumeister. Its not perfect, but nothing ever is.... It's close enough for me to give it a "buy" recommendation as I've brewed my very best beers on it with the least stress I've ever had in a brew session.
Very good points. I too enjoy my 50L with the 20L extra Malt Pipe. I think it comes down to what size you mainly do. I went from a Brutus 10 setup where I had all 10 gallon Blichmanns that I used to make 5 gallon batches. As much as I love to brew, I had a hard time keeping my pipeline up. This was the reason I went with the 50L and the extra 20L malt pipe. I can do either one.

I know some have mentioned the boil isn't as vigorous as they would like with the 20L and use an extra heat stick. I noticed on my last batch that if I partially covered the kettle, the boil was much more what I was accustomed to as well. So I think the element situation is relative. More wattage on the 50L but more wort to boil.

I think if I were to do it again today, I would go with the 20L. Smaller footprint, less cash outlay and a smaller unit to clean with one less pump to worry about. I know I said I had a hard time on my old system keeping up with the pipeline, but it was a lot more work to clean (3 kettles, 2 pumps, hoses, false bottom and RIMS tube) compared to the 20L BM.

If money is no object just send me 2k and you can have my 50L complete with a stainless chiller coil, insulated jacket and the 20L malt pipe (cord already converted) and you're ready to go!!

Then I'll get the 20!

Old 10-18-2011, 03:28 AM   #984
bcryan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Default two for one

i'm only on page 32 of 80ish so if this has been answered my apologies. i'm reading alot about this screen that seems to be a pain in the butt. why doesnt the stainless screen that holds down the mesh screen do two jobs in one?? can't it be desinged to filter? seems like it wouldnt be that hard to come up with?? theres obviously a reason why its like that. just thinking.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #985
BierFest
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been in contact with Ralf at Speidel who has been very helpful and responsive to my questions.

He has answered some questions I put to him:

1. He has confirmed that the cloth filters discussed above are no longer an issue. These have been replaced with Stainless steel filters for both the 20l and 50l models.

2. Once the boil reaches 89°C the pump cuts out so dried leaf hops getting stuck in the pump should not be an issue during the boil. (I assume that nobody adds their hops before boiling point)

3. The main purpose of the copper hood is:

• To look good
  • It can be used as a grain funnel to direct the grain into the malt pipe at fill time
  • you can connect an extration pipe to it to channel the steam out of the room during your boil.
4. Beersmith - They cannot supply parameters at the moment. However he told me that they are working on it.

Overall I am feeling very positive about it now between the helpful comments here and also on some of the Austrailian forums where a lot of guys are using them. So I think now I need to get my finger out and make that purchase!

Last edited by BierFest; 10-18-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #986
Strangelove
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
If money is no object just send me 2k and you can have my 50L complete with a stainless chiller coil, insulated jacket and the 20L malt pipe (cord already converted) and you're ready to go!!

Then I'll get the 20!
Hmmm....shipped?
Primary 4: Extra Hard Lemonade
On Deck:
SECONDARY:
Bottle Conditioning: MW Belgian Honey, Edwort's Apfelwein, MW Bourbon Barrel Old Ale, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, BM's Hooked on Bitters, Beecave Haus Pale Ale
Drinking: Yooper's Stone Ruination Clone, BM's SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde, BM's Kona Fire Rock Clone,

Old 10-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #987
Yambor44

Recipes 

Quote:
Hmmm....shipped?
Let me check.....

Old 10-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #988
Strangelove
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I'll have to check with the boss, too. LOL

Primary 4: Extra Hard Lemonade
On Deck:
SECONDARY:
Bottle Conditioning: MW Belgian Honey, Edwort's Apfelwein, MW Bourbon Barrel Old Ale, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, BM's Hooked on Bitters, Beecave Haus Pale Ale
Drinking: Yooper's Stone Ruination Clone, BM's SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde, BM's Kona Fire Rock Clone,

Old 10-19-2011, 12:21 AM   #989
Yambor44

Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah, I'll have to check with the boss, too. LOL
HAHAHAHA....I was just going to check on shipping cost.....

Old 10-19-2011, 03:16 AM   #990
bach
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default copper hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierFest View Post
1. The copper hood has come up a few times during the thread - for those that have bought it - what are the advantages of it and would you recommend buying it as an extra?

Thanks,
Brian.
I got the copper hood but I would have not bought it if I could decide again.
I think Chris pointed out earlier that it is a pretty nice and expensive funnel.
I mainly got it, because the existing lid looked "cheap" on picture - I found quite the contrary, when I got it.
The lid is solid and the only thing I might do is to replace the black plastic ball by some custom machined hardwood piece.
My copper hood looks little different from the website picture. It also came with silicone gasket, which holds it on the kettle rim without sliding.
I found that I get too vigorous boil if the pot is completely covered with copper hood - especially in the first 30 mins, when the boil tends to foam more and when the kettle is fuller. So I cover the kettle with copper partially at the beginning and after about 30 mins keep it covered completely without any issues.

For some people who are now looking at the unit - it makes step mashing really fun. I did also single decoction with it. While the main mash rests at beta amylase rest I heat and boil the decoction through alfa amylase rest, boil and return it back to main as some other folks from Norway pointed out.
The BM is just paused to remove and to return the decoction.

The only thing Braumeister does not do well is washing all that stuff.
I need to buy Dishmeister for that !! Washing is pain !

Quick Reply