Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #911
clasley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Possibly. I had mine set to 101C for both shots in the video.

Another note - I drilled a small hole in the lid for the long stem thermometer I posted awhile back. I watched the temps while chilling on both thermometers. They started out in sync and quickly started drifting with the built-in thermometer ending up >13C off target. I can't help but think hops and break material are blanketing the built-in thermometer throwing off the readings.

-Chris

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #912
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clasley View Post
Possibly. I had mine set to 101C for both shots in the video.

Another note - I drilled a small hole in the lid for the long stem thermometer I posted awhile back. I watched the temps while chilling on both thermometers. They started out in sync and quickly started drifting with the built-in thermometer ending up >13C off target. I can't help but think hops and break material are blanketing the built-in thermometer throwing off the readings.

-Chris
Was the built in thermometer higher than the other or lower? Were you running the pump when the differences showed up or was it with the pump off? Mine have been close when checked after transferring to carboy but never did a side by side comparison in real time.
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 09-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #913
clasley
Recipes 

The built-in was reading higher/warmer. The pump was running the entire time. I watched temps during the mash as well. They only started to drift out of sync in the last part of chilling. Otherwise they were +/-0.5 degrees of each other.

-Chris

Old 09-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #914
beefeater
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, this tread is looong now!
And lots of new Speidles, that's great!

Havent been brewing much lately, the arctic summer is too short to not spend it outside and consuming old beer. Getting low, good thing fall is here with some nasty weather weekends perfect for brewing!

Anyways, on 20ish batches on my BM, I've had channelling/fountaining issues on two. Those were two consecutive batches of witbier using 50% raw wheat. Lots of wheat cauces channelling and fountains I concluded and have been reluctant trying it again. Maybe rice hulls would solve the problem?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #915
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Beef, with 50% wheat I would definitely use some rice hulls. I'm thinking of using them just as cheap insurance.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #916
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

On Sunday I went for a slightly higher gravity brew than usual. For Beersmith 1064 estimate I actually hit 1062 by using 6kg (= 13lb 4oz grain bill) when I usually have 5kg ie 11lb grain bill. So 1 kilo = 2lb 3oz difference.

The pump sounded ok, did not seem to be working any harder than usual, only difference I noticed was that usually when the pump is on the wort happily falls over the edge of the malt pipe, like a waterfall, and makes a dripping sound. This time there was no sound because the wort was just gently getting over the edge. A few times I had to check that the wort was actually circulating because I wasn't sure, it was that slow.

So I was quite happy that I didn't go over 6 kilos, but I need to check this thread how others have pushed the system.

EDIT. I see Chris brewed with 6.5kg and thinks 6.8kg would be the absolute max.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:02 AM   #917
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGarre View Post
On Sunday I went for a slightly higher gravity brew than usual. For Beersmith 1064 estimate I actually hit 1062 by using 6kg (= 13lb 4oz grain bill) when I usually have 5kg ie 11lb grain bill. So 1 kilo = 2lb 3oz difference.

The pump sounded ok, did not seem to be working any harder than usual, only difference I noticed was that usually when the pump is on the wort happily falls over the edge of the malt pipe, like a waterfall, and makes a dripping sound. This time there was no sound because the wort was just gently getting over the edge. A few times I had to check that the wort was actually circulating because I wasn't sure, it was that slow.

So I was quite happy that I didn't go over 6 kilos, but I need to check this thread how others have pushed the system.

EDIT. I see Chris brewed with 6.5kg and thinks 6.8kg would be the absolute max.
I brewed recently with 13 pounds in my 50L with my 20L malt pipe and it was THICK! Made it all the way thru but I cannot see going more....

Old 09-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #918
londonvictoria
Recipes 

A quick question for you knowledgeable Braumeiter afficionados...

Do any of you know any breweries/pubs/individuals who are running a business using the 200L?

Thanks!

Victoria
(BM20L new owner)

Old 09-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #919
Sudz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonvictoria View Post
A quick question for you knowledgeable Braumeiter afficionados...

Do any of you know any breweries/pubs/individuals who are running a business using the 200L?

Thanks!

Victoria
(BM20L new owner)
I saw a post by someone in Australia who was running their business with one of these. I think it was in this post somewhere but I'm not certain.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:30 AM   #920
davewaldo
Recipes 

There is someone on the Aussie Home brewer site running a nanobrewery with a 50L

Quick Reply