Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #891
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGarre
Started brewing today. Disaster!

Wort was shooting out of the malt pipe, same thing that happened to Yambor. had to abort and clean up, will try tomorrow again. My 7th brew and never had this happen before...but I did do 2 things differently from before.

1. Grain bill was smaller. 3.25kg ie 7.2 lb. Same amount of water 24L ie 6.3 gal.

2. I usually attach the filter mesh to the top metal sieve. This time I also attached the bottom one to the bottom metal grill/sieve so it was really tight and wouldn't let any grain off.

I think #2 was the problem. I reckon the bottom one has to live a bit, give way when the pump is pushing out from the bottom.

Think this was your problem, Yambor?

EDIT: Will brew today, crushing the grain as I write. I couldn't sleep tonight...
I "think" mine may have been my crush was too fine. I increased my gap some and my efficiency dropped to 67%. not too bad, but I tightened it back to 1.00mm or .039" which is factory I think. I will brew a 5 gallon batch thus weekend for a YouTube experiment I'm helping with. Not sure if that will determine anything though. I wonder what the actual cause may be as I brewed 4-6 batches with the same crush and no problem. If you go back to that video I made, a fellow experienced BM posted some thoughts on what it might be.

As far as your filtering, are you saying you put two filters on the bottom sieve? If so, did that leave zero on the top?

Rob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #892
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post

As far as your filtering, are you saying you put two filters on the bottom sieve? If so, did that leave zero on the top?

Rob
No, one on the bottom and one on top, I just attched the filter on the bottom to the sieve, first time I ever did that and I had a geysir on my hands.

Mashing now and all looking good...

Old 09-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #893
Yambor44

Recipes 

So you put the filter on the bottom of the bottom sieve. No...I wouldn't do that.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #894
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
So you put the filter on the bottom of the bottom sieve. No...I wouldn't do that.
No no, right way around, first the metal sieve, then filter (only difference here was I tied them together)
Then malt in, then metal filter and sieve (I have usually tied these together except first 2 brews).

What I am thinking, on the bottow, perhaps the filter needs to have some leeway above the sieve?

Old 09-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #895
Yambor44

Recipes 

Ahhhh. Mine are sewn on top and bottom and I have one brew with the bottom done and one brew with both done. No problem on either one. But then again as mentioned before I didn't have a shooting wort problem the first 4-6 brews either then bam.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #896
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I had absolutely no problems on the 2nd try today, I even had the lid on most of the time, just slightly open every now and then and the boil obv. was more of a vigorous rolling kind instead of a limp one...screw vegetable/celery soup taste, looks like my hopped wort was clear for the first time!

I don't know why the wort shot out but I won't be sewing my bottom filter on the sieve that's for sure.

I brewed a mild brown ale, overshot OG slightly (1.036 vs 1.035), 24 L to start with, 4 for sparge, end of the mash end up with 24L, and 20L into the FV, seems to work pretty well every time.

Looking forward to your brewing video, Rob.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #897
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

1036... 1035... That is spot on in my book! Glad it worked out for you today! I may be shooting a vid of my brew day this coming weekend if all goes well. On deck: Vanilla Porter!

I'm thinking I'm going to purchase the copper hood down the road as I half covered my pot this past weekend on my Altbier and seemed to get a better hot break. Too early to call, but if that proves to be true, might warrant a shiny copper bling addition!

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 09-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #898
Yambor44

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGarre View Post
I had absolutely no problems on the 2nd try today, I even had the lid on most of the time, just slightly open every now and then and the boil obv. was more of a vigorous rolling kind instead of a limp one...screw vegetable/celery soup taste, looks like my hopped wort was clear for the first time!

I don't know why the wort shot out but I won't be sewing my bottom filter on the sieve that's for sure.

I brewed a mild brown ale, overshot OG slightly (1.036 vs 1.035), 24 L to start with, 4 for sparge, end of the mash end up with 24L, and 20L into the FV, seems to work pretty well every time.

Looking forward to your brewing video, Rob.
Never say never.....

Old 09-01-2011, 11:38 PM   #899
Yambor44

Recipes 

I just saw this video by MoreBeer (B3). It is the same video on the Speidel site but in ENGLISH.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #900
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, I'm mid-mash on the porter and have a periodic fountain myself today. Same LHBS crush, with obviously a different grain bill. It only happens every now and then and I'm keeping the lid on it today. I've also got yet another grain in the pump making some noise as well - still working fine but rattling like crazy.

Chris- are you still using your whirlpool mod and is it working OK? Wondering if a more indirect flow from the pump might not help.

Rob - same location as yours, meaning on the edge of the malt pipe.

I'm also contemplating a screen mod to help keep the grain in the pipe when it gets past the edge of the plates on pump breaks. Need to find some stainless screen in small sheets and will document my idea with pictures once I get the materials.

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Quick Reply