Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #881
Sudz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks Makomachine!

I can now follow the thread with a reasonable level of understanding about this brew process. The more I read, the more I'm favorably impressed!

Cheers...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #882
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudz View Post
Thanks Makomachine!

I can now follow the thread with a reasonable level of understanding about this brew process. The more I read, the more I'm favorably impressed!

Cheers...
No worries. It's about as easy as you could make all grain with a high degree of control in your mash temps, IMO. Haven't got enough time with it yet to give a final opinion on it, but I'd buy it again in a heartbeat given my brewing sessions to date.
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 08-30-2011, 08:16 PM   #883
Kimosabe
Recipes 

Quote:
I understand 3 gallons wouldn't work. I also understand that the traditional ratios are not necessary applicable the BM brewing. I haven't made any but there are light brews out there with 8 lb grain bills.

My question stems aroung the BM system. Simply put, how much water does it (20L) require for circulation? Can someone with a 20L tell me?
What you have to realise is that reducing the amount of water will put extra strain on the the pump. When the pump starts, the water level inside the malt pipe will rise. Outside the maltpipe the water level will fall. A difference in pressure will build up directly proportional to the difference in height of the two fluid levels. To maintain the wort circulation the pump has to overcome both the resistance of the grain bed and the pressure difference as a result of the difference in fluid levels inside and outside the maltpipe. Therefore reducing the amount of water will slow down the circulation. I recently experienced adding more than the advised 23 liters helped me to improve circulation when i'm using a high grain bill. I suspect reducing the amount of water will decrease the efficiency and therefore will result in a lower instead of a a higher end gravity.

Thijs

Last edited by Kimosabe; 08-30-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #884
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Thanks Makomachine!

Cheers...
How's your build coming along? Aren't you trying to build a similar unit?

Old 08-31-2011, 01:53 PM   #885
Sudz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
How's your build coming along? Aren't you trying to build a similar unit?
Very good... Yes I am ...sorta.

I was actually building a system to emulate BIAB* (brew in a "bucket") when I first became aware of the BM. It's rather uncanny how similar my "FrankenMeister" is to the BM.

Basically I've got a 15 gal boil pot which will be the basis for the system. I have an older 8 gal pot which will serve the function of the grain pipe. It retains it's bottom and sets about 1 1/2 off the floor of the boil pot.

I have made two sieve plates. One fits tightly in the bottom of the 8 gal pot (mash pot) about 2 " from the pot's bottom. The other sieve plate fits about 2" below the rim of this mash pot.

Circulation leverages a March pump. I pull water from the boil pot via the existing drain valve. This gets pumped to a 1/2 copper manifold which is actually mounted to the outside of the mash pot. The delivery enters the mash pot below the lower sieve plate. Flow at this point is the same as a BM. The overflow from the mash pot drops back into the boil pot and is continuously recirculated.

One difference I have is the solid bottom mash pot. To drain the mash pot when raised, I have incorporated a small 3/8" hole in the bottom of the pot. This should restrict the flow to promote grain bed optimal settling similar to standard vorlauf/fly sparging practices. This hole is sealed by a simple flap valve when the pot is setting on the bottom of the boil pot. This valve opens as the pot is lifted for draining.

Heat is provided by a gas fired system. This system uses a large banjo burner which has been the basis of my boil pot during prior use. I have modified the gas delivery to permit temp control via a PID controller and valve. This system now includes a pilot light to facilitate the on/off of the main gas flow. My initial thermocouple is mounted to sense the output flow temp immediately after the pump.

I may eventually convert to electrical heating if this thing proves useful. I'm basically utilizing my existing system by adding some features to things I already have. I had no idea where this was going until a came across the BM. That was exciting for me since it appears to justify my game plan.

This thread has been an excellent source of info and everyone's participation greatly appreciated.

Construction is almost complete. I'll probably start playing with the circulation and heat control this weekend. I'm probably a couple of weeks from brewing pending start up surprises... there are always some.

The reason I was questioning the capacities of the BM was to get some understanding of the volumes internal to the BM 20L system. In looking at my system I will have significantly more volume capability than what I perceive the 20L BM has. This does make for a tricky design decision regarding the max capacity of my mash pot. I will most likely be cutting a couple of large overflow ports in the side of the pot to limit this capacity. This will be necessary because the system may hold too much water for a 5-6gal grain bill if not limited. I'll have to play with the mash pot volume to determine what's best for this system.

That's it for the moment... Cheers...

Old 08-31-2011, 05:05 PM   #886
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just aim for 20L into the FV and start with 24L + 4L for sparging - these are always fixed numbers and I adjust the amount of grain as per BeerSmith. Last time target OG was 1.061 and I hit 1.06 so I am getting very close. Simple. And why would I want half amount of beer, say 10L, if I can get 20L? My newest brew is always the best I've brewed so far so I want to max out on the quantity...

Old 08-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #887
Sudz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGarre View Post
I just aim for 20L into the FV and start with 24L + 4L for sparging - these are always fixed numbers and I adjust the amount of grain as per BeerSmith.
This is what I had in mind.

It appeared to me the system more or less dictates the water required and the grain remains as the principal variant. Since the liquor/grist ratio is not fixed, this makes things really simple. Stronger brew, just add more grain....

Cool!

Old 08-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #888
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudz

This is what I had in mind.

It appeared to me the system more or less dictates the water required and the grain remains as the principal variant. Since the liquor/grist ratio is not fixed, this makes things really simple. Stronger brew, just add more grain....

Cool!
Exactly!

Old 09-01-2011, 02:33 AM   #889
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So I'm at 1019 today on the Altbier and bumped it up to 68F to finish out. Impressions from the hydrometer sample is I did pick up a little diacytl fermenting cool, so the rest was in order and should clean that up. Beyond that it appears to be going well.

I'm debating my next brew but thinking of a Stone IPA clone, Surly Furious Clone, or Vanilla Porter. My Pliny Clone is about gone so leaning towards an IPA. Anyone have a good recipe for the Furious? And, more importantly, can I get the hops??

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 09-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #890
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Started brewing today. Disaster!

Wort was shooting out of the malt pipe, same thing that happened to Yambor. had to abort and clean up, will try tomorrow again. My 7th brew and never had this happen before...but I did do 2 things differently from before.

1. Grain bill was smaller. 3.25kg ie 7.2 lb. Same amount of water 24L ie 6.3 gal.

2. I usually attach the filter mesh to the top metal sieve. This time I also attached the bottom one to the bottom metal grill/sieve so it was really tight and wouldn't let any grain off.

I think #2 was the problem. I reckon the bottom one has to live a bit, give way when the pump is pushing out from the bottom.

Think this was your problem, Yambor?

EDIT: Will brew today, crushing the grain as I write. I couldn't sleep tonight...

Quick Reply