Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #791
makomachine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
Hey Mako, what percent are your citra and magnum hops?
Forgot to post that in the original recipe and will update it.

Magnum - 13.5AA
Citra - 13.4AA
48 IBU's by recipe
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #792
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
Forgot to post that in the original recipe and will update it.

Magnum - 13.5AA
Citra - 13.4AA
48 IBU's by recipe
Thanks! Was putting this together and came up with IPA IBU's.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #793
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
Thanks! Was putting this together and came up with IPA IBU's.
It's technically 3 IBU's beyond the upper limits of the APA style, but I'm a fan of the hop and I'm not a stickler for guidelines! I also tend to always end up a bit short on my utilization and have always seemed to need to bump up my IBU's ~10% or so. I use bottled spring water and it's the next step in my process to nail down as I haven't done any water profiling or adjustments to date. Guessing that has something to do with it as I don't use any hop sacks in my process.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #794
Yambor44

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine

It's technically 3 IBU's beyond the upper limits of the APA style, but I'm a fan of the hop and I'm not a stickler for guidelines! I also tend to always end up a bit short on my utilization and have always seemed to need to bump up my IBU's ~10% or so. I use bottled spring water and it's the next step in my process to nail down as I haven't done any water profiling or adjustments to date. Guessing that has something to do with it as I don't use any hop sacks in my process.
Very, very good points.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #795
makomachine
Recipes 

rlhvegas - How did your brew day go today? I'm sipping on my Oktoberfest and thinking about real ale, and where I could fit a beer engine into my home pub plans - thanks to you!

Old 08-15-2011, 12:22 AM   #796
rlhvegas

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
rlhvegas - How did your brew day go today? I'm sipping on my Oktoberfest and thinking about real ale, and where I could fit a beer engine into my home pub plans - thanks to you!
Hey Mako, I'm in the midst of brewing a second 5g batch right now, everything's going great! I'm actually brewing two 5g batches of Oktoberfest... I'll explain later! I'll post my results soon.

I'm glad I've influenced another person towards a beer engine, it's the way beer should be served. If you want I can forward you info and contact for the beer engine.

http://www.facebook.com/nolimitbrewing

Old 08-15-2011, 12:46 AM   #797
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhvegas View Post
If you want I can forward you info and contact for the beer engine.
Definitely forward it to me when you get a chance. No rush as I have to wait until we build our next home before I go there, but will be great to have it for some pre-planning. Let us know your thoughts when you wrap up today!

Old 08-15-2011, 06:02 AM   #798
rlhvegas

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:

Definitely forward it to me when you get a chance. No rush as I have to wait until we build our next home before I go there, but will be great to have it for some pre-planning. Let us know your thoughts when you wrap up today!
I want to start by saying thank you to all you BM users for putting together this wonderful informative thread! My brew day was a complete success! My plan today was to brew a test English Bitter but I switched gears and brewed a double batch of Oktoberfest. Because of the procedures I learned here, my efficiency was 82% and the brew day was very enjoyable. This system is awesome. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Mako I bought my beer engine from ukbrewing.com, it's the CO model. The person you want to deal with is Paul Pendyke.

I can't wait to brew again. My next two beers will be the English Bitter and a Peppermint Stout.

http://www.facebook.com/nolimitbrewing

Old 08-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #799
makomachine
Recipes 

What mash schedule did you use for your Oktoberfest? Will be doing another this fall and will be the first on the BM. How did your boil volume turn out?

Old 08-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #800
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just recapping my experiences.

On sparging. I seem to hit my BeerSmith-calculated OG when I fill up with 23-24 litres of water and after mashing I pour 4 litres of water on top of the filter while BM is bringing the temp up for the boil at which point I have 23-24 litres of wort, and 20 after the boil. If I sparge with 5 litres I will undershoot OG.

On chilling. I use Speidel chiller and it takes 20-25 minutes to get 20C ie pitching temp. Granted, water is from my own well and quite cold. Takes about 4 bucketfulls of water to get the job done. Very pleased. Also, the chiller is very easy to clean up, I just hose it down, nothing seems to stick to it.

Planning my #6 brew...porter/stout of some kind, chocolate and black malt, fuggles, etc...yummy...

Quick Reply