Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 03:25 AM   #781
makomachine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhvegas View Post
So here is my recipe for my first BM brew.

English Bitter

7 lbs Pale Malt
.5 lbs Crystal 60
.25 lbs Flaked Oats
.5 lbs Victory

.50 ozs. EKG @ 60
.50 ozs. Fuggles @ 15
.50 ozs. EKG @ 10
.50 ozs. Fuggles @ 1

OG: 1.045
IBU's: 16.83

This is the first time I'm using my brewing software with the BM, hopefully I have entered the profile numbers correctly. My software tells me to mash with 23 liters water. Sparge with 8.85 liters of water. This will give me a boil size of 26.54 liters in kettle, ending up with 20.82 liters in the fermenter. Taking into account a 90 min boil and trub loss. Does this seem correct?
That seems like a little too much water to me, but don't have my conversion chart handy. Today I mashed with 6 gallons and sparged with 1.5 gallons and got right around 5.25 gallons in the fermentor after a 90 min boil. You're about a gallon more than me if my math is right. Are you using a dip tube or tipping your unit to get past the standard spigot level?
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 03:43 AM   #782
rlhvegas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
That seems like a little too much water to me, but don't have my conversion chart handy. Today I mashed with 6 gallons and sparged with 1.5 gallons and got right around 5.25 gallons in the fermentor after a 90 min boil. You're about a gallon more than me if my math is right. Are you using a dip tube or tipping your unit to get past the standard spigot level?
Thanks mako, I'll adjust my sparge to 1.5g in my software. I will tip the unit until I fashion a dip tube. What method of draining are you using?

Old 08-14-2011, 03:51 AM   #783
makomachine
Recipes 

Well my brew day was a success. I'm now officially pleased with my purchase! It's probably early for that, given I'm a bit away from sampling the actual first product, but the simplicity and stress free process really made this a great brew day. Followed the recipe as previously outlined and ended up as follows.

Pre boil Gravity - 12.8 Plato, 1052. *(76% efficiency)
OG - 15 Plato, 1061 SG

I'm pretty pleased with the efficiency numbers as my LHBS grain mill was set way too wide and upon looking at the crush, was a bit worried I'd be low today. (Didn't mill myself as it was a call in order they already had bagged for me) I think with a better crush I can easily depend and plan around the ~80% range that others are reporting.

Pitched my decanted 2L starter with some topped off wort at 70F and hit it with 50 seconds of pure O2 from my new oxygenation setup from Williams Brewing. The yeastie beasties were already chomping away at the starter actively and expecting minimal lag time on fermentation on this one. I'll let everyone know how this one turns out.

Things I still need to work out:

1). Pick up /Dip tube - could not get it to fit in my kettle with the elbow and reducer without pushing against the malt pipe. I removed it for this brew as I wanted the malt pipe centered to minimize grain from escaping around the off center screens. Not sure why I'm having this issue and may need to rethink the assembly. Anyone have an issue on their 20L with this occurring? I'd take a picture but my camera is MIA at the moment.

2) Chilling is SLOW - I had a terrible time chilling today with my old 50 ft immersion chiller hooked up to a 25 ft Pre chiller in a bucket of ice from my laundry room faucet. Ground water is warmer but I think a lot if this is from how well the BM is insulated with the jacket still on. Ran the pumps and it dropped quickly to around 85 degrees and then started crawling. Finally gave up at 80F - racked to my carboy and let the chest freezer take it down to 70F prior to pitching. I'm going to remove the jacket next time and see if that helps as a starting point. Didn't think to time it as it started dropping quickly, but it was longer than my outdoor setup by a good margin. Anyone have any tips in this area? Got me to thinking about a plate chiller but I'm a freak for sanitation and those things worry me.

Outside of these two items, everything went extremely well- all from the comfort of my air conditioned home! I'm going to need another chest freezer...

Old 08-14-2011, 03:58 AM   #784
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks mako, I'll adjust my sparge to 1.5g in my software. I will tip the unit until I fashion a dip tube. What method of draining are you using?
I picked up a bit of trub today and given that and another look at my fermenter, I'd go 1.75g as a starting point. (went and looked after I posted earlier) I auto syphoned today as I'm having dip tube issues - so still figuring that out myself.

You brewing tomorrow and is that going in your cask setup? Sounds tasty!

Old 08-14-2011, 04:19 AM   #785
rlhvegas

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
I picked up a bit of trub today and given that and another look at my fermenter, I'd go 1.75g as a starting point. (went and looked after I posted earlier) I auto syphoned today as I'm having dip tube issues - so still figuring that out myself.

You brewing tomorrow and is that going in your cask setup? Sounds tasty!
Cool Mako I'll try 1.75g on sparge. Yes I'm killing two birds with one stone, brewing on the new system and supplying the beer engine!

Old 08-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #786
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Cool Mako I'll try 1.75g on sparge. Yes I'm killing two birds with one stone, brewing on the new system and supplying the beer engine!
Let us know how it's going today.

Woke up this morning to the beginnings of a wicked fermentation in my chest freezer. I'm going to need a blow off tube for this one - even though I used fermcap! Usually fermcap eliminates this problem for me and wondering if it's the trub I picked up or the O2 I used for the first time. Need to figure out a blow off solution that still allows me to use my thermowell.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #787
clasley
Recipes 

Default Monitoring Chilling Temperature

Mako did you check the temperature while chilling with anything other than the built-in probe? I've found it to be way off while chilling (10-15C or more).

I remember reading about this somewhere but can't recall which thread. From what I can tell as the wort chills hop debris and break material settle in around the probe and insulate it throwing off the reading. I'm going to solve the problem by drilling a small ~1/8" hole in the lid and use a long stem digital.

Yambor we may be wrong about these stainless chillers.

-Chris

Reason: Fixed a typo.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #788
Yambor44

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I hope so Chris!! But I think I checked mine with a separate thermometer. I'll check it for sure with something else next time. All I know is the copper chiller took it right down to chilling temps in a way more reasonable time. I'm on the road right now so can't check my notes.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #789
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clasley View Post
Mako did you check the temperature while chilling with anything other than the built-in probe? I've found it to be way off while chilling (10-15C or more).

I remember reading about this somewhere but can't recall which thread. From what I can tell as the wort chills hop debris and break material settle in around the probe and insulate it throwing off the reading. I'm going to solve the problem by drilling a small ~1/8" hole in the lid and use a long stem digital.

Yambor we may be wrong about these stainless chillers.

-Chris
I actually checked via a separate digital thermometer myself and it was reading accurately. I had the pump running part of the time and probably kept things from settling on the probe - although that and impatience were probably why I picked up some trub as well.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #790
Yambor44

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hey Mako, what percent are your citra and magnum hops?

Quick Reply