Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #701
clasley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cooper Hood

I used the cooper hood on my first session. It definitely seemed to help keep a rigorous boil - almost too rigorous. I spent the entire session standing over the pot with a spray bottle. That led me not use it on the next session and I haven't used it since. I get a decent rolling boil without it so I haven't been motivated to add it back.

My two concerns with it are DMS buildup and hop utilization. Not sure if either of these are real concerns. The opening is fairly small and any condensation ultimately makes it's way back into the boil so DMS may/may-not be an issue. The boil with the hood is very rigorous coating the sides of the kettle and inside of the hood with pellet hop material. Not sure if that would impact utilization but my thinking was if it's not rolling around in the kettle (stuck to the inside of the kettle/hood) then it's not fully contributing.

It does make and excellent (and expensive) funnel.

-Chris

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 07:38 PM   #702
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

OK, I have some bad news. I received Robs impellers and they didn't solve my problem. Started a mash cycle with water only and the moment I hit mashing in the pump quit working with the pump light on. Target of 55C. Heating up fine, just no pump even though the light is on. I must have a bad controller box. Calling Thorston now.

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 08-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #703
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
OK, I have some bad news. I received Robs impellers and they didn't solve my problem. Started a mash cycle with water only and the moment I hit mashing in the pump quit working with the pump light on. Target of 55C. Heating up fine, just no pump even though the light is on. I must have a bad controller box. Calling Thorston now.
I was afraid of that which is why I wanted to send those to you so you could find out sooner. Your others are probably already on the way but I would stand firm on them sending you a new computer box 2-3 day air ASAP.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #704
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
I was afraid of that which is why I wanted to send those to you so you could find out sooner. Your others are probably already on the way but I would stand firm on them sending you a new computer box 2-3 day air ASAP.
Thorston has another solution that will definitely meet my needs. He has a 20L unit that was used once for a demo locally and he's going to send me that complete unit via UPS and I'm going to return this one to him. I'd rather have a unit that proved itself once in new condition anyway and it will allow me to have it in a few days rather than 3 weeks. Apparently the replacement of the box is not as simple and Speidel wants the box to remain with the original unit. I'm fine with this solution as Thorston is picking up shipping costs and I'm getting a tested unit. Once again, Thorston has shown great customer service on this - highly satisfied in his response.

I'll post when I get the new unit and HOPEFULLY I'll be brewing next week.

Rob - thanks for sending the impellers as that sped up the process by a week at least!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #705
Yambor44

Recipes 

SWEET! My man Thorsten! I always have liked him...

Old 08-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #706
datamike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was reading the Braumeister manual online (I don't own one) and noticed that it specifies using either pellet or whole hops.

What keeps hops, trub, etc, out of the pump? What's the outlet tube look like? Anyone have a pic of this inside of a Braumeister?

Thanks!
Michael

Old 08-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #707
Yambor44

Recipes 

Quote:
Rob - thanks for sending the impellers as that sped up the process by a week at least!
You're very welcome. No rush on mine coming back so just send them the cheapest method you have there.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #708
Yambor44

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by datamike View Post
I was reading the Braumeister manual online (I don't own one) and noticed that it specifies using either pellet or whole hops.

What keeps hops, trub, etc, out of the pump? What's the outlet tube look like? Anyone have a pic of this inside of a Braumeister?

Thanks!
Michael
Please don't take this the wrong way, but you haven't read anywhere close to this whole thread huh?

Old 08-06-2011, 12:54 AM   #709
Redstag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
I always worry about the cabbage effect when I partially cover my kettle. Never had it, but I'm paranoid that way. Any issues with this?
I'am sorry I do not undersand what you mean by the cabbage effect. Could covering the kettle cause off flavors?

Old 08-06-2011, 02:45 AM   #710
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstag View Post
I'am sorry I do not undersand what you mean by the cabbage effect. Could covering the kettle cause off flavors?
Yes, covering your kettle while boiling can cause a cooked cabbage taste to your beer or DMS, which is what Chris was talking to in his last post. Want a strong, open boil to drive off DMS. Pilsner malts are especially known for this, but it can occur with the others as well.

Quick Reply