Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #61
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveKaiBrewing View Post
i just bought a voltage converter. i think like 150.00 dollars 5000 watts 5year warranty. i just wanted to have the ability to plug it in anywhere. i have 220 in the garage but i like brewing under the tiki hut in the back yard.
Thats sounds nice, brewing under the Tiki Hut!

So this converter will allow you to plug into a regular household 110 receptacle? Would that work on the 50l unit?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #62
hfk2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has anyone here actually cut off the euro plug and installed a U.S. type plug? Thorsten replied to me that it is "an easy fix", however hasn't provided any instructions on exactly how to do it.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #63
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfk2 View Post
Has anyone here actually cut off the euro plug and installed a U.S. type plug? Thorsten replied to me that it is "an easy fix", however hasn't provided any instructions on exactly how to do it.
Warranty still in effect if you do that? Did he/they provide that in writing? Why is the company selling that to the US market in that fashion.

I really like the look of the machine, but sounds like they are just winging it on the US market at this point.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #64
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post

So this converter will allow you to plug into a regular household 110 receptacle? Would that work on the 50l unit?
Well, the converter he's buying specs at 5KW. The 50l Speidels unit is quoted as 3200W for the "heating spiral", and 2 x 23W for the two pumps. So- 3250W; they don't say anything about the draw of the control unit, but it wouldn't be over 100-150W, so be generous and say 3500W. Still a long way from 5KW.

If I were buying this unit now, I'd be more concerned about it being supplied with a Euro style plug, and all that implies: they're not really established in the U.S. market, so what about warranty, parts, service, etc.?

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #65
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Logic tells me that you would take their hot (230v) and swap it with one of our hots (120v) and swap their neutral with one of our hots (120v) for 240v out of phase. Ground would go unchanged. That's just my thought, I am NOT an Electrician. Get the proper instructions before you proceed.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 04-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #66
Inodoro_Pereyra
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveKaiBrewing View Post
i just bought a voltage converter. i think like 150.00 dollars 5000 watts 5year warranty. i just wanted to have the ability to plug it in anywhere. i have 220 in the garage but i like brewing under the tiki hut in the back yard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post

It should be ok.
FiveKai: remember that converter can draw up to 50A from the 120V line. Make sure your circuit can handle the load safely.

A pessimist is a well informed optimist.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #67
hfk2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

wyzazz, I agree with your description of wiring the plug. That is how some have rewired plugs for euro instant hot water heaters. I just want an acknowledgement from Speidel or MoreBeer4U before I proceed that way. Otherwise I think a converter is the only other way to go, but it would require a 30amp circuit for the 20l system, and wouldn't be as economical as going straight to 240V.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #68
hfk2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Setting up my 20l Speidel Braumeister and a few observations: First I contacted Internation Video and Electronics about their DS-5000 Transformer. This is their reply:

"Technically speaking the DS-5000 should work with no problem however, heating products work a little differently than regular electric products. Over time the excessive output from your boiler could wear the coils out in the DS-5000. Most large appliances we do not recommend using transformers because they are not a pernament solution. The boiler may work for you several months even years however at some point it will burn out. There is also a HZ issue because European countries run on 50HZ and the U.S runs on 60HZ. When the machine is running it will be running at a faster pace than it is normally designed to and this adds to the motor failure. If you would like to try it out, the DS 5000 is the model to go with, however we do not recommend it ."

I also contacted Thorsten about changing the plug. He was quite helpful. Subsequently I cut off the Euro plug and installed a 3-wire 240V 30 amp dryer plug. Mine has 2 prongs at angles and 1 shaped like a small L. The leg with the small L is the ground and must be connected to the yellow/green striped wire in the Braumeister's cable. The other 2 get connected 1 each to the other 2 legs. After plugging it in it works just fine and I didn't get electrocuted. Warranty is still good if properly done. Specifically states on website that U.S. users must change plug. I tested the pump and heater and both work fine. I expect to brew on Sunday so I'll have more info then. One issue is when draining the pot with the spigot a little over 1 1/2 gallons remains. This is not exceptable. Speidel has you tilt the pot to get more out. The spigot connects to a welded fitting on the pot. On the inside of the pot is a large smooth bored hole. I think there is plenty of room (between the pot and malt pipe) to fashion a pickup tube that should drain to within 2 or 3 cups.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #69
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

As more people acquire and use the Speidels unit (which I feel is going to happen), this thread will prove invaluable to those moving into this method of brewing. Continuing to post tips and tricks used with the Braumeister to this thread will merit petitioning for sticky status at some point, I'm sure.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #70
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks hfk2! Mine should be here by next Friday. Can't wait!!

Look forward to reading about your brew session Sunday. Take lots of pics or a video if that is an option.

Quick Reply