*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #651
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just watched the first part of your video. I would say to start with replacing the pump.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #652
Redstag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Voltage

Makomachine,
The 250v seems high, but I have not encountered any problems.
Hope this helps.

017.jpg

018.jpg

Old 08-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #653
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks Redstag - appreciate your input as that at least rules out one factor.

I'm going a head and posting a video of the first brew session, prior to things going south once I realize the pump isn't working. Hopefully it's helpful to someone and if anything at least documents where I ran into the problem. Morebeer is getting a phone call in the next 30 minutes and will let you know what I find out.

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 08-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #654
Yambor44

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Jason, I'm thinking it may be more than just the pump as you mentioned. However, that being said, the heat rising issue is probably due to the wort not circulating. So it could be as simple as a pump replacement. I'm sure your distributor will want to start there. Sorry you had such a problem.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #655
makomachine
Recipes 

Rob- I got in touch with Morebeer and they are going to work it back with Speidel. I expect a solid response as I've had nothing but excellent experience with Morebeer over all my purchases. Will post back once I get word on next steps.

All that said, I love the concept of this unit. We'll see how support is before I make judgements as I know that even with the tightest QC these things just happen sometimes. Taking a deep breath and we'll see where we end up.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #656
hfk2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry for your predicament. I haven't read anywhere of this problem. The 250V is most likely not the issue. Most homes especially those that are close to a substation can easily get readings of 250V. If you put most of your major appliances on you would most likely see that reading drop to 240V. I'm thinking based on what you showed us that there is a temperature controller that controls the pump. As Chris said at 85C when you're in the boil phase, the pump shuts off and doesn't come on again. I don't think having grain in the pipe makes any difference. I have run the pump with no grain and with PBW to clean the system with just enough water to cover the spigot opening and also with a full pot and have had no problems. Your pump seems to shut down whether it's in auto mode or manual mode when the temperature rises. Also when the pump is stuck with grain it tends to make a pretty good clackety noise that you can't miss. Since the pump does run at low temperatures I would think the connections are O'K and the voltage is good but you could use your meter to check the voltage at the pump. Just my thoughts. Hope it helps with your troubleshooting with Speidel (Morebeer).

Old 08-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #657
makomachine
Recipes 

OK. I've done some more monitoring of the issue to try and narrow down the root cause to assist Morebeer / Speidel. It would appear that Rob is right and it's likely pump related given what I'm seeing in variation of cutoff/on time & temps. More importantly, there is a rattle I'm starting to notice in the pump that I don't believe was there previously. This could be me just noticing more - and it's definitely not as loud as Rob's was in his posting, but there is a 'ticking' that's noticeable. I've captured my findings and the sound in the below video. Kevin at Morebeer is working my issue but given the time difference, I'm not likely to hear anything back until tomorrow.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #658
rlhvegas

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sorry for being off topic, but I placed an order for a 20l two weeks ago with morebeer. I've called morebeer and they told me that because the item is drop shipped from Speidel, they have no way to track the package and give me any updates. Literally I'm in the dark about my order! It's an expensive item, not to have any clue what's going on with it. I've even contacted Speidel using the email links from theie website but have gotton no responses. Can anyone give me a suggestion or words of encouragment? I'm trying to be as patient as possible!

Old 08-01-2011, 11:30 PM   #659
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfk2 View Post
Sorry for your predicament. I haven't read anywhere of this problem. The 250V is most likely not the issue. Most homes especially those that are close to a substation can easily get readings of 250V. If you put most of your major appliances on you would most likely see that reading drop to 240V. I'm thinking based on what you showed us that there is a temperature controller that controls the pump. As Chris said at 85C when you're in the boil phase, the pump shuts off and doesn't come on again. I don't think having grain in the pipe makes any difference. I have run the pump with no grain and with PBW to clean the system with just enough water to cover the spigot opening and also with a full pot and have had no problems. Your pump seems to shut down whether it's in auto mode or manual mode when the temperature rises. Also when the pump is stuck with grain it tends to make a pretty good clackety noise that you can't miss. Since the pump does run at low temperatures I would think the connections are O'K and the voltage is good but you could use your meter to check the voltage at the pump. Just my thoughts. Hope it helps with your troubleshooting with Speidel (Morebeer).
Thanks for the input on the voltage. Ive done some base level outlet wiring but have never worked with 220 before. Makes complete sense to me though as i know standard home outlets can run a few volts high and when you double tha, the math makes sense.

Haven't tried measuring voltage as I didn't want to mess with the connections in any way prior to getting some feedback from the vendors. I'm keeping my hopes up that it's something simple that won't drive a multi-week wait on a part replacement. We'll see what they say tomorrow.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #660
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhvegas View Post
Sorry for being off topic, but I placed an order for a 20l two weeks ago with morebeer. I've called morebeer and they told me that because the item is drop shipped from Speidel, they have no way to track the package and give me any updates. Literally I'm in the dark about my order! It's an expensive item, not to have any clue what's going on with it. I've even contacted Speidel using the email links from theie website but have gotton no responses. Can anyone give me a suggestion or words of encouragment? I'm trying to be as patient as possible!
I heard the exact same thing from Morebeer myself when my 20L shipped. It took right at 3 weeks to arrive as they predicted. I find it odd as well on such an expensive item, but the delivery worked out. They charged me about a week later as I believe they don't hear back from Speidel right away on invoicing / shipment confirmation. When did you order?

Quick Reply