Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #631
rnarzisi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

well... that would be a problem then. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #632
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yambor, I'm missing your cool videos. Any news at the BM front?

Old 07-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #633
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGarre View Post
Yambor, I'm missing your cool videos. Any news at the BM front?
HA HA! Been out of town for a week and had a lense replaced in one of my eyes and yada yada yada....

Just kegged 10 gallons of a SNPA clone, have 10 gallons of Bobby from NJ's Blonde Ale to keg but I'm in the middle of grilling/smoking 2 whole spatch cocked chickens and 8 bone in chicken breasts. Will probably keg that tomorrow. Then I can brew as I will have space in my fermentation freezer!!

I have to say tho I have been really enjoying the beer that I have brewed with my BM. Getting dialed in! Just blew 2 kegs; a Hopburst and a Centennial Pale Ale. Enjoying a Stump-knocker Pale Ale clone from Gainesville's Swamphead brewery at the moment.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:15 AM   #634
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clasley View Post
Here's a couple picts of my install of the 70200X45 from International Configurations. The components are actually made by Legrand. There's a green led that lights up when the receptacle has power. I keep it switched off unless I'm brewing.

-Chris
Chris- got the exact same setup but a bit confused on the wiring on this. Do you have any pics of how it's wired?
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 07-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #635
BllShter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I really have to say this is the first thread for any forum that I have read "cover to cover" you guys are awesome. My homebrewing PIC and I are saving and speculating on our first AG setup and I am pretty much sold on the BM. Yambor your vids and notes have been invaluable. HFK, your pretty close to us so I'll probably be reaching out once we're up and running, everyone else has been great too, so many contributions, I don't think I've ever seen a thread this long with such a low percentage of negging hijackers (even though I'm kind of hijacking now...), I can't even think of one! So much cooperation and info, this thread has my vote for best thread ever, can't wait to get my BM stripes and be admitted into the fraternal brotherhood of BM brewers. You guys are the shiznizzle.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #636
makomachine
Recipes 

Chris - never mind as I figured it out. Nothing worse than over thinking the issue- have a little bit of electrical knowledge but no experience with GFCI and higher voltage. Red and black wires off of my 4 prong drier cord, running into the unit housed in it's own box results in this!

Now I have to figure out a stand (sitting on the box currently!), create my dip tube, clean the unit, and brew! I've got either a Citra Pale Ale or American Wheat up first, ingredients in hand. Will post something up on the first brew.

I read in the thread where people are accounting for ~3 liters boil off in their process. I'm going for a 90 minute boil and need to nail down my initial volume required if I sparge with 3.5 liters. Any suggestions from the 20L crew?

I'm also planning on using the default mash schedule the first few rounds so I have a baseline, unless others have a better schedule they would recommend.

Appreciate ALL of the input - this thread rocks and happy to be a member of the SB club! Video after the brew!

Old 07-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #637
rnarzisi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm using a metro rack stand from Storables. Just a small 18x24 stand that's maybe 14 inches off the ground. The stand allows me to hang the lifting hook off the side, the support bar fits perfectly into the shelf grating pointing downward, and the bottom shelf is perfect for storing the copper hood. Best of all, no welding needed and takes less that ten minutes to set up.

Picture coming soon.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #638
hfk2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hello Makomachine, I'll give some of my observations. For stands go back to page 8 and after, you'll see several different approaches to stands. I used an unused night stand. I added casters, mounted my pump and electrical switch box. I can store everything inside it and roll it away when done. Yambor44 has a nice stainless steel table he cut the legs down on it seems very stable and gives a lot of table top space. I boil for 90 minutes but add a 1500 watt heatstick so I get a very vigorous boil. I boil off just under 1.5 gals. Chris has the copper hood and says he gets a good rolling boil, so he might add in his boil off numbers. I sparge with 2 gals of 168F water to fill the boiler to just over the top mark (25liters (6.6gals)). If you use the default mash schedule, write it down. Once you change it you lose it. The BM defaults to the last schedule used. The BM default schedule is typical of what most Germans brew - wheat beers. It would probably work very well for your American wheat beer. I brew mainly lagers and I used it for a German lager which came out very well with a strong malt flavor which is typical of German lagers. When I use well modified malts (which is most of the time) I change the protein rest to 55C (131F) for 15 minutes to help with head retention. I keep the maltose rest at 63C (145F), but lower the first sach rest to 70C (158F), and mash out at 76C (168F). The BM mashes out at 78C (172F) which I think starts to leach the tannins out of the husks and gives a little astringent taste, but i'm doing light colored lagers mostly. Don't forget to do a batch with a short protein rest and a single temp rest of between 148F to 156F. I've had very good beer come out with a simple mash. Also if you have a yard stick with centimeters on it, one centimeter equals one liter in the 20l BM. Hope this makes some sense. Let us know how you make out.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:09 AM   #639
roomfullofmirrors
Recipes 

I stand my BM50L on top of a sanke keg that I cover with a circular piece of marine grade ply. Perfect height for lifting malt pipe (I use a small step-stool to stand on) and good height for positioning carboys, kegs etc under tap.
I also like that I can move around the BM freely and access it from any angle.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:10 AM   #640
makomachine
Recipes 

Thanks for the input guys. I've been out running errands today and will be brewing tomorrow. I picked up a cheap stand at Target to get me buy in the near term as we are planning on moving and I'll have a more permanent brew room in the new house. Got everything I needed but my LHBS didn't have any silicone tubing, so no dip tube for now. They gave me a stub of vinyl tubing for free, but I told them it wasn't temp rated to boiling. They argued, so I kept it but it's clearly not going to work. (They were trying to be helpful so didn't press the point with them) thanks for the input on the mash schedules as I've decided to start with the wheat and their default schedule tomorrow. Will post when the dust settles with pics and or video.

Quick Reply