Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #621
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhvegas
Well I took the plunge! After reading this thread and some rearranging of finances, I placed my order Friday for a 20l system with thermal jacket! I'm so excited! Now the two week wait... And I thought waiting for a Russian Imperial to finish was bad!
Congratulations Vegas!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #622
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just got back from my trip and my unit is sitting at my brothers house. Can't wait to brew this weekend!

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 07-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #623
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clasley View Post
Received my 20l Braumeister last week and had "First Brew" on Sunday.

Went with the 70200x45 from International Configurations for power. A little pricey but nice - gives me GFI, a switched outlet and no need to mod the cord.

Brewed in the kitchen which I haven't done since my extract days. So nice to be indoors (it rained all day) with a sink and hot water. Day went without a hitch. Hit ~80% efficiency with a quick sparge after lifting the malt pipe, no stirring just poured over the top plate. Going to try including the sparge water in the initial mix and see what that gets me.

Purchased the insulating jacket and copper hood based on comments that the heating on the 20l unit is a little anemic. Jacket is a _tight_ fit but nicely made. The copper hood is built like a brick - really thick gauge copper. With both in place I got a really solid rolling boil. Measured the max heat output at 1 degree C per minute (1.8F/min) with 25 liters.

I'm very impressed and one happy camper. Overall the most pleasant brew session I have had in years.

-Chris
Chris - opened up my 20L unit with the intent of cutting the cord and modifying but cant bring myself to do it! Would taking the 7200X45 and placing in a box wired to the drier plug work as an interface that can be moved? Thinking about future locations and possibly tying this switched box to a future stand build.

SB to 7200X45 in box wired to drier cord to drier outlet

Old 07-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #624
clasley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
Chris - opened up my 20L unit with the intent of cutting the cord and modifying but cant bring myself to do it! Would taking the 7200X45 and placing in a box wired to the drier plug work as an interface that can be moved? Thinking about future locations and possibly tying this switched box to a future stand build.

SB to 7200X45 in box wired to drier cord to drier outlet
That should work. The surface mount version would make it even easier. I hard wired mine into an existing junction box tied to my electric cooktop. The wiring was pretty straight forward once I got my head around it.

My main goal with the 70200X45 was GFI protection. If that's not a concern there are cheaper options. You could get a female Schuko plug and fashion an extension cord similar to what wreals did a few pages back. You could also toss the original cord in the box and make a new cord with an IEC C-13 plug (double check me on the pinout).

-Chris

Old 07-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #625
makomachine
Recipes 

Thanks Chris. I'm very interested in GFI as well so think I'll move forward with this option. Thanks for the suggestion of the surface mount box, but I may end up doing what you did once we build our new house and will buy with the intent of using an in wall solution down the road. I can get an electrical box cheap and future proof that way.

How are things going for you on the wort clarity front?

Old 07-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #626
clasley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
How are things going for you on the wort clarity front?
Just took time, finally cleared out after a couple months.

Used my Therminator on the last batch and things are clear out of the fermenter. I suspect I wasn't getting a good cold break with the Speidel chiller. It's a thing of beauty but it's not much of a chiller. Not sure if the walls are too thick or there isn't enough length but it's going to be replaced. Haven't decided if I'll stick with the Therminator or build/buy another cooper immersion chiller. The plate chiller is just a pain to deal with compared to an immersion chiller IMHO.

-Chris

Old 07-27-2011, 12:43 AM   #627
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clasley View Post
Just took time, finally cleared out after a couple months.

Used my Therminator on the last batch and things are clear out of the fermenter. I suspect I wasn't getting a good cold break with the Speidel chiller. It's a thing of beauty but it's not much of a chiller. Not sure if the walls are too thick or there isn't enough length but it's going to be replaced. Haven't decided if I'll stick with the Therminator or build/buy another cooper immersion chiller. The plate chiller is just a pain to deal with compared to an immersion chiller IMHO.

-Chris
I agree with you there Chris. If you are fanatical about getting all the crud out of it anyway.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:29 AM   #628
clasley
Recipes 

Default My Power Solution

Here's a couple picts of my install of the 70200X45 from International Configurations. The components are actually made by Legrand. There's a green led that lights up when the receptacle has power. I keep it switched off unless I'm brewing.

-Chris

dsc_0010.jpg   dsc_0023.jpg  

Old 07-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #629
rnarzisi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Holding the Filter in Place

Hello-

I know that there has been a lot of discussion on keeping the filters in place. It seems the two best situations are to use ss wire to "sew" the filter to the false bottom piece or to use ss paperclips to cli the two together. I used the SS wire trick on my last brew, and while it was effective it was a complete PITA to set up and take apart. SS paperclips are rather difficult to find and I wonder if the added clips would make the false bottom just a touch too wide to fit easily into the malt pipe. (I have a small dent in my malt pipe from shipping and the false bottom piece always hits that on the way in and out. I can't help but wonder what would happen if I have six or eight clips attached to the false bottom.)

Anyway... has anyone tried using small magnets to hold the filter and false bottom together? I think this solution would have the advantages of being quick to set up and take apart, not adding to the circumference of the false bottom, as well as not trashing the filter from repeatedly sewing the filter in place. Possible downsides to this solution that I see are: potential to knock the magnets off whilst stirring the grain, not using enough magnets and allowing grain to slip by the filter around the edges, and whether or not magnets are food safe.

Can anyone see a downside to this solution? Has anyone tried it? What type of magnets would be food safe?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #630
datamike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Stainless steel, is generally non-magnetic....

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnarzisi View Post
Hello-

I know that there has been a lot of discussion on keeping the filters in place. It seems the two best situations are to use ss wire to "sew" the filter to the false bottom piece or to use ss paperclips to cli the two together. I used the SS wire trick on my last brew, and while it was effective it was a complete PITA to set up and take apart. SS paperclips are rather difficult to find and I wonder if the added clips would make the false bottom just a touch too wide to fit easily into the malt pipe. (I have a small dent in my malt pipe from shipping and the false bottom piece always hits that on the way in and out. I can't help but wonder what would happen if I have six or eight clips attached to the false bottom.)

Anyway... has anyone tried using small magnets to hold the filter and false bottom together? I think this solution would have the advantages of being quick to set up and take apart, not adding to the circumference of the false bottom, as well as not trashing the filter from repeatedly sewing the filter in place. Possible downsides to this solution that I see are: potential to knock the magnets off whilst stirring the grain, not using enough magnets and allowing grain to slip by the filter around the edges, and whether or not magnets are food safe.

Can anyone see a downside to this solution? Has anyone tried it? What type of magnets would be food safe?

Quick Reply