Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #611
hfk2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used 1/2" reinforced braided silicone silbrade hose rated for 350 degrees F. It's expensive ($7.99 at Midwest Supplies) but I only needed one foot.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/1-2-reinforced-braided-silicone-silbrade-hose-per-foot.html
1-2-reinforced-braided-silicone-silbrade-hose-per-foot_1.jpg

I originally used 1/2" thermoplastic tubing rated for 275 degrees F.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/1-2-id-thermoplastic-tubing.html
tube.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #612
hfk2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Both tubes work well. You will get many uses out of the cheaper tube and if you're careful about tightening the clamps it will last the life of the tube. I tighten the clamps too much the first time I used it which chewed up the outer tubing. It still worked, but I like to take it off after every session to completely clean and sanitize the spigot and tubing. The expensive tube has a reinforcement molded into it, so even if you clamp down too much you will chew up the outer covering but it wont go past the reinforcement. You will also need to use some sort of quick connect on the pump end to allow the hose to swivel. The spigot when turned rotates the spout 90 degrees, so because the tubing is solidly attached to the spout it will rotate the whole tube therefore the pump end needs to be able to rotate or you will twist the tube which might recoil to keep closing the spigot on you. This was a cheaper and easier method than trying to find a metric sized valve to fit the BM opening.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #613
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If only the bottling day was as easy going and effortless as the brewing day...have to say my esb and ipa are getting better every day. I actually prefer my esb to Fullers one. I recently joined CBA in the UK (Craft Brewing Association) and I was asked to write a piece on BM. Apparently not that popular in the UK. This thread will be valuable when I put together my concise review. Thank you.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #614
wreals
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brewing my first beer on the Braumeister today.

10 gallons of Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale.

- Bill Reals
www.reals.net

Old 07-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #615
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreals View Post
Brewing my first beer on the Braumeister today.

10 gallons of Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale.
Good on you! Have fun and enjoy your special day.

(I'll be brewing the 4th time on Monday or Tuesday. I'll probably go for ~1.042 bitter with amarillo twist...)

Old 07-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #616
wreals
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm brewing my dogs, which means I'm doing all the work. You guys were right, pulling that malt-pipe out was a pain in the ass. Once you get past the suction created by the pipe, it gets easier but I need to rethink the height of my brew table, it was on the edge of being too high, even with a step ladder.

On a very positive note, this has been a very quite and relaxing brewing experience. I've been kegging other batches and generally doing other things, while I'm brewing.

- Bill Reals
www.reals.net

Old 07-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #617
wreals
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Everything went great with the Braumeister but my march pump is a whole different story. It took forever to prime and then one of the hoses blew off my plate chiller, scalding my fingers.

Also, my ground water is a balmy 83 degrees right now, so I had to just dump it into my conical and chill it down in it's fermentation chamber. I should be able to pitch later today.

Cleaning wise, how do you get the pumps apart?

- Bill Reals
www.reals.net

Old 07-24-2011, 01:33 AM   #618
davewaldo
Recipes 

Pump cleaning is nice and easy. Just flush water through the inlets and outlet then turn the whole unit upside down and unscrew the pump's brass end covers. The inside can then be inspected. These should only be on hand-tight, not need to force them.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:34 AM   #619
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreals View Post
I've been kegging other batches and generally doing other things, while I'm brewing.
I sanitise and clean while mashing and boiling, after having pitched the yeast I only have to clean the BM and mop the floor.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #620
rlhvegas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well I took the plunge! After reading this thread and some rearranging of finances, I placed my order Friday for a 20l system with thermal jacket! I'm so excited! Now the two week wait... And I thought waiting for a Russian Imperial to finish was bad!

Quick Reply