Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #581
beradthefish
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the reply to my previous question Clex.

Here's another one for the group:

Counterflow chillers - Anyone using one? If you are, in what manner?

My thoughts are that a CFC with a pump could be used to recirculate chilled wort to bring the temperature of the entire wort volume down, with the output creating a whirlpool in the kettle, leaving you with chilled, whirlpooled wort. A right-angled discharge pipe clamped in some way to the side of the kettle to create the whirlpool.

This could be a way to replicate the effects of Jamil's recirculating chiller, as he mentions on his site.

Issues could include break material and hops entering the chiller, before the whirlpool can take effect, potentially jamming up the CFC.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this one!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #582
Redstag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I just pulled the trigger on the 50L Braumeister unit. Yambor44’s video and this thread was the clincher. I had been searching the net for an electric system when I stumbled across Yambor’s video. After watching the video and reading the full thread I decided “I gotta to get me one of these”. I tried to call the guy in Florida and got “your call can not be completed as dialed” ….1-877-620-3227. So I rang up the More Beer folks. Don’t hate me, but they had one in stock and it should be shipped early next week. I know many have had to wait three or more weeks for their delivery. My thanks to all who have contributed to this thread and of course to Yambor44 for his informative video. I have enjoyed it several times. I can’t wait to start brewin.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #583
rnarzisi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I haven't tried decoction mashing yet. I likely never will, but I don't see why it would pose a significant problem.

Many users have paused the program (pumps) during the mash in order to stir the grain bed to prevent channeling, improve efficiency, or just for something to do. I don't see why removing or adding grains and liquid couldn't be done just as easily. Of course the decoction boil would need to be done in another vessel; I don't think anyone would advocate, or even think possible, that decoction could happen entirely within the unit.

The only possible issue I could see is overshooting your temps. Because the temp probe is below the malt pipe, the newly heated liquid would need to pass through the grain bed, over the malt pipe, and through the pumps before it wold hit the temp probe. All the while, the heating element would be on, adding additional heat to the mash, thereby increasing the likelihood that you'd overshoot.

I suppose you could avoid this by running the mash in manual mode, first adding your heated grains and liquid, allowing them to recirculate for while then adjust the set temp. That way the raise in temp would be taken into account before the heating elements are triggered to turn on. Yeah, it is more work and probably means you can't brew in auto mode... but then no one does decoction mashing because it is easy.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:11 AM   #584
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnarzisi View Post
I haven't tried decoction mashing yet. I likely never will, but I don't see why it would pose a significant problem.

Many users have paused the program (pumps) during the mash in order to stir the grain bed to prevent channeling, improve efficiency, or just for something to do. I don't see why removing or adding grains and liquid couldn't be done just as easily. Of course the decoction boil would need to be done in another vessel; I don't think anyone would advocate, or even think possible, that decoction could happen entirely within the unit.

The only possible issue I could see is overshooting your temps. Because the temp probe is below the malt pipe, the newly heated liquid would need to pass through the grain bed, over the malt pipe, and through the pumps before it wold hit the temp probe. All the while, the heating element would be on, adding additional heat to the mash, thereby increasing the likelihood that you'd overshoot.

I suppose you could avoid this by running the mash in manual mode, first adding your heated grains and liquid, allowing them to recirculate for while then adjust the set temp. That way the raise in temp would be taken into account before the heating elements are triggered to turn on. Yeah, it is more work and probably means you can't brew in auto mode... but then no one does decoction mashing because it is easy.
That's kind of what I thought and frankly after more thought, adding some melanoidan malt is likely to be a better idea for me personally.
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 07-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #585
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstag View Post
I just pulled the trigger on the 50L Braumeister unit. Yambor44’s video and this thread was the clincher. I had been searching the net for an electric system when I stumbled across Yambor’s video. After watching the video and reading the full thread I decided “I gotta to get me one of these”. I tried to call the guy in Florida and got “your call can not be completed as dialed” ….1-877-620-3227. So I rang up the More Beer folks. Don’t hate me, but they had one in stock and it should be shipped early next week. I know many have had to wait three or more weeks for their delivery. My thanks to all who have contributed to this thread and of course to Yambor44 for his informative video. I have enjoyed it several times. I can’t wait to start brewin.
Congratulations. I knew they had a 50L in stock but just couldn't justify the price difference for the way I'll use it in 5 gal mode a majority of the time. Let us know how your first brew goes!
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 07-08-2011, 12:57 AM   #586
Redstag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Congratulations. I knew they had a 50L in stock but just couldn't justify the price difference for the way I'll use it in 5 gal mode a majority of the time. Let us know how your first brew goes!

Will do... I figured that 10G would work fine b/c I could let the second 5G keg mature for a longer time before draining it. Oh sorry, I mean partaking in the pleasure of consuming.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:58 AM   #587
Redstag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Not sure how to work the quote thing yet..... parden the newbee mistake

Old 07-08-2011, 01:48 AM   #588
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Welcome Redtag!! Sorry you weren't able to get a hold of Thorsten, but probably better for your locale to order from MoreBeer (B3) anyway. Can
t wait to hear about your first brew!

Rob

Old 07-08-2011, 04:37 AM   #589
Redstag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks Rob ...I will be posting as I brew.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #590
wreals
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My 50l with both the long and short malt pipes came in this week. Now to I just need to modify the electrical cord and I can do a test run on this sucker.

- Bill Reals
www.reals.net

Quick Reply