Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 01:03 AM   #521
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Old 06-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #522
hfk2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did the paper clips stain after just one use? It looked so promising.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #523
Yambor44

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfk2 View Post
Did the paper clips stain after just one use? It looked so promising.
Didn't brew with them yet. I soaked the filter & sieve in a solution of white vinegar and water for 24 hours and they rusted/corroded right away. Maybe (probably) a chemical reaction of some kind. I was thinking of that when I soaked them. Also. (a big also) I noticed that the paper clips were NOT stainless steel. It said "Non skid steel finish" on the box.

I see they have them available in stainless, just don't know if that would make any difference. I am waiting on a set of the cloth ones to come in and I will have a draw string sewn on like Davids setup. I think that this has to be the ultimate fix.

I would have to agree with everyone else that something like the draw string setup should be included for the price that is paid for one of these units. I assume the drawstring idea was turned down in lieu of the screens because:

A) money was already invested in the screens and
B) money.

Maybe in the not so distant future as they get our feedback via emails, YouTube and this site, they will come up with a more solid fix. At lest they show they are willing to try better ideas as they did by switching to the screen filters as some of the folks have already received. I would rather have the screen version (if it doesn't rust or corrode at all) as opposed to the clothe filter. Even though it floats up somewhat also, it doesn't "bunch" up. A definite move in the right direction.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #524
wreals
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
I am waiting on a set of the cloth ones to come in and I will have a draw string sewn on like Davids setup. I think that this has to be the ultimate fix.

Where did you source getting the drawstring sewn on your filters? A seamstress or did you order them from some vendor?

- Bill Reals
www.reals.net

Old 07-01-2011, 01:03 AM   #525
Yambor44

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreals View Post
Where did you source getting the drawstring sewn on your filters? A seamstress or did you order them from some vendor?
Going to get someone to do it for me. No vendor. I am actually thinking of using some nylon cord (20# fishing line???) and lining it with that (no rust). Then I would blast out the grain after brewing with the water hose and then place sieve's in the dishwasher to get a good soapy, hot cleaning. That may be my next experiment.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #526
beradthefish
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Screens

Maybe you could try some stainless safety wire.

Don't BMs now ship with fine SS screens used in conjunction with the coarse screen? If so, can they be purchased?

Old 07-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #527
rlhvegas

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm interested in joining the Speidel Family, however the apparent limitation that disturbes me is the 1.057 specific gravity limit the system has. I'm assuming that you would have to use DME to brew beers beyond 1.057. Has this limitation been a problem for anyone? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #528
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhvegas View Post
I'm interested in joining the Speidel Family, however the apparent limitation that disturbes me is the 1.057 specific gravity limit the system has. I'm assuming that you would have to use DME to brew beers beyond 1.057. Has this limitation been a problem for anyone? Thanks in advance.
I really don't think you can put a hard limit on the gravity of a system like this. Earlier in the thread there were methods discussed for brewing bigger beers on this system. You could make a smaller batch of a bigger beer, mash twice, boil longer, there all all sorts of ways to make a higher gravity beer on the Braumeister. On the flipside, if you're always making high gravity beers you may want to think about purchasing/building a more traditional system.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 07-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #529
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
I really don't think you can put a hard limit on the gravity of a system like this. Earlier in the thread there were methods discussed for brewing bigger beers on this system. You could make a smaller batch of a bigger beer, mash twice, boil longer, there all all sorts of ways to make a higher gravity beer on the Braumeister. On the flipside, if you're always making high gravity beers you may want to think about purchasing/building a more traditional system.
Agree. There are limitations and trade offs to every system. I usually brew and prefer beers in this range. When I do a bigger beer, it's rare, and frankly a smaller batch is what I'd prefer. Someone who strictly enjoys barley wines , imperial stouts and IIPAs might be better suited to another setup.
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 07-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #530
rlhvegas

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thank you for the response. I currently own a single tier Brutus direct fire system, but really like the small foorprint, ease of use, and electric features of the Speidel. From reading through this thread it seens unamimous that the system is worth the price.

Quick Reply