New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 01:05 AM   #511
Yambor44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Weave a small nylon string through the top of the bag.
You guys are gonna keep on until I have to do a sewing video huh?

Good idea.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #512
clex25
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
You're very welcome. Who has the alias? Me? You?

How was your brew day?
Me! I have a different username on youtube from which I sent you some questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
Clex25 - So how was the first brew on it? How was wort clarity, efficiency, etc? You pleased with it?
Well I should also note that this was also my first all-grain batch ever, so I don't really have much to compare it to. I was following the Walker's GRUAGACH 80 recipe that I found here on the site, and kept the default mash schedule that was programmed into the braumeister.

I performed a batch sparge, and ended up with an OG that was high. I think I followed the recipe instructions too closely instead of some advice here in the thread for the braumeister. Next time, I will be adding ~23L of strike water (did about 19 or so this time). Maybe I will increase the grain bill slightly and skip a sparge altogether.

Wort clarity seemed...OK? It was hard to tell since it was pretty dark, and I have never brewed this recipe (or all-grain) before. Efficiency...honestly didn't measure, but I know I was off in the amount of water I started with anyway. Overall It was very easy and its speeding up my introduction to all grain brewing quickly. Next step is getting some software so I can keep better track of my brews and make some calculations I know I've been fudging.

Also, has anyone thought about installing a small screen directly over the pump inlet? I got a small piece of grain stuck in the pump that I was able to remove after cleaning (read: taking it apart) but I would love to skip that if possible.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #513
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by clex25 View Post
Also, has anyone thought about installing a small screen directly over the pump inlet? I got a small piece of grain stuck in the pump that I was able to remove after cleaning (read: taking it apart) but I would love to skip that if possible.
ScubaSteve puts a small stainless sink strainer on his pump inlet, he has a single vessel brewing system similar to the braumeister. Something like the below.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 06-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #514
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
ScubaSteve puts a small stainless sink strainer on his pump inlet, he has a single vessel brewing system similar to the braumeister. Something like the below.

Any worries on fine particles clogging this up and causing a problem? My initial thoughts are to my koi pond filter - too fine filtration and you get clogged quickly. Can you remove this prior to the boil in the Braumeister setup? Hops would for sure clog this up if you were going to try the whirlpool add on.
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 06-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #515
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Don't know, the only way to tell for sure is to try it!

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 06-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #516
hfk2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Chris showed on page 48 how he placed a 1/2" elbow in the pump discharge. You could try the same in the pump intake but place a small bazooka screen or SS mesh from a hot water heater flexible tubing to help filter out larger pieces of grains. a small piece of screen placed just over the intake might clog up very fast. I'll try this on this weekends brew.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #517
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfk2 View Post
Chris showed on page 48 how he placed a 1/2" elbow in the pump discharge. You could try the same in the pump intake but place a small bazooka screen or SS mesh from a hot water heater flexible tubing to help filter out larger pieces of grains. a small piece of screen placed just over the intake might clog up very fast. I'll try this on this weekends brew.
I'm guessing this will also impact pump output and workload. The designers probably over engineered the system but that's something I would watch for if you go the flex tubing / screen route.
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 06-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #518
hfk2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Might not be enough room for the discharge elbow. It's really close to the side of the kettle and the heating coils are almost right above it. Also the rubber gasket around the SS sieve is too tight to slide in the malt pipe, even though my sieves fit much looser than Yambor44's. Yambor44 I used two small paperclips to hold my ss mesh to the sieve and it seems to work very well and is very easy (and inexpensive) to do. Thanks

Old 06-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #519
hfk2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

makomachine, I agree. Any restrictions placed on the intake or output side of the pump will reduce its efficiency. Typically it is allowable to restrict the outflow from a pump, but you should never restrict the input. Maybe better hygiene keeping the grain out of the boil kettle is all that's needed. On my 20l the pump is just barely adequate for the job.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:52 AM   #520
Yambor44

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfk2 View Post
Might not be enough room for the discharge elbow. It's really close to the side of the kettle and the heating coils are almost right above it. Also the rubber gasket around the SS sieve is too tight to slide in the malt pipe, even though my sieves fit much looser than Yambor44's. Yambor44 I used two small paperclips to hold my ss mesh to the sieve and it seems to work very well and is very easy (and inexpensive) to do. Thanks
Make SURE they are stainless paper clips. They must say STAINLESS on the package. Video to follow.....

Quick Reply