Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #491
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Here's a video I made of the paper clips holding the filter down.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #492
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGarre View Post
I'm at page 12-13 and saw a nice blueprint for a dip tube for the 20L unit. Sure my physics is rusty but how come a pipe that is bent low is able to suck wort up?

The problem I had was that when I was tipping the unit forward to get last of the wort to flow into the FV, unless I had the BM over the edge of the table the unit was resting on the control unit which I reckon isn't healthy.
How is my autosiphon able to move liquid up against the force of gravity and then down into my bottling bucket? It's the same siphon principle.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #493
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
Here's a video I made of the paper clips holding the filter down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZnuv1T2bLQ
I have that exact same pint glass - one of my favorites from one of my favorite breweries! Thanks for the vid!
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 06-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #494
hfk2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here's a thought for us that have the 20l with the stainless steel mesh instead of the cloth. My SS mesh isn't flat at all. It is warped and never sits flat. If we could get replacement rubber gaskets, the one that goes on the bottom of the malt pipe, fit it around the SS sieve and mesh, cut it to size and super glue it, it would hold the mesh flat, and create a good seal around the malt pipe. Yambor44, as usual an informative video. A siphon works by gravity. As long as the discharge tube is longer than the pickup tube and the discharge end is lower than the lowest level of liquid it will work. Also water (wort) has an affinity to itself (polar attraction), therefore the molecules want to stay together which helps with the siphoning process.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #495
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I wouldn't use Super Glue for anything that touches my beer hot or cold. I'm just sayin...

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 06-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #496
hfk2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Super glue (Cyanoacrylate) is non toxic. It was developed for medical purposes in dental use and it was used as a liquid suture. I would only have used it to join the two ends of the rubber gasket, not around the perimeter. I wonder how Speidel joins the two ends of their gasket? Super glue or weld?

Old 06-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #497
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfk2 View Post
Super glue (Cyanoacrylate) is non toxic. It was developed for medical purposes in dental use and it was used as a liquid suture. I would only have used it to join the two ends of the rubber gasket, not around the perimeter. I wonder how Speidel joins the two ends of their gasket? Super glue or weld?
Hmmm, interesting. I never knew that, I wonder if the bonding strength would be enough to join 2 pieces of silicone?
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 06-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #498
hfk2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think the exposure to extremely high water temperatures would eventually destroy the bond. Might not even need to glue it. Just giving it a little thought. I'll try the paper clips first.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #499
wreals
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfk2 View Post
Super glue (Cyanoacrylate) is non toxic. It was developed for medical purposes in dental use and it was used as a liquid suture.
I don't know where you heard that from but it's incorrect.

Like a lot of things, it was developed for one use, discovered it didn't do the job very well and then other uses present themselves.

Cyanoacrylate was developed as a bonding agent for gun sights in WW2 and then sold as a glue by Kodak. It was only later developed into medical uses in the 70s and 80s.

While non-toxic, Super glue is waterproof but isn't very flexible.

- Bill Reals
www.reals.net

Old 06-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #500
hfk2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I shouldn't have used the term "developed" but its early use and first real uses were as I stated. It failed as gun sight adhesive and it failed as a dental adhesive. It breaks down at about 200F and especially when exposed to excessive moisture.
"Super glue, Krazy glue, Eastman 910 and similar glues are all a special type of glue called cyanoacrylates. Cyanoacrylates were invented in 1942 by Dr. Harry Coover of Kodak Laboratories during experiments to make a special extra-clear plastic suitable for gun sights. He found they weren't suitable for that purpose, so he set the formula aside. Six years later he pulled it out of the drawer thinking it might be useful as a new plastic for airplane canopies. Wrong again--but he did find that cyanoacrylates would glue together many materials with incredible strength and quick action, including two very expensive prisms when he tried to test the ocular qualities of the substance. Seeing possibilities for a new adhesive, Kodak developed "Eastman #910" (later "Eastman 910") a few years later as the first true "super glue." In a now-famous demonstration conducted in 1959, Dr. Coover displayed the strength of this new product on the early television show "I've Got a Secret," where he used a single drop placed between two steel cylinders to lift the host of the show, Garry Moore, completely off of the ground.

The use of cyanoacrylate glues in medicine was considered fairly early on. Eastman Kodak and Ethicon began studying whether the glues could be used to hold human tissue together for surgery. In 1964 Eastman submitted an application to use cyanoacrylate glues to seal wounds to the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Soon afterward Dr. Coover's glue did find use in Vietnam--reportedly in 1966 cyanoacrylates were tested on-site by a specially trained surgical team, with impressive results."
My point was whether it is appropriate for this use and that it isn't toxic.

Quick Reply